Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front suspension clunk when braking or decelerating at slow speeds

Re: Front suspension clunk when braking or decelerating at slow speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Bob, just get under there and hit everything with a frozen churro. You'll find it!
    hardy har har
    So the churro didn't work?
    but you did manage to break a wheel stud with it?
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

here's a pic of what i think is the problem:

[img width=800 height=617]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/bob98sr5/4Runner/torn-bushing.jpg[/img]

i believe there is metal to metal contact when the weight shifts from back to front becasue of the worn bushing. we'll see when i replace it.

oh chris and reg, i couldn't get the churros to fix the problem. maybe you can try to figure out why the churro tool didn't work?

That's funny!

That doesn't look too easy to swap out.
    My signature

i seriously doubt that's it, bobert.
    -andy

Bob, when I installed my new front diff I got the same sound when braking but that was due to both of the front diff mounts being loose. I thought I had tightened both up enough but apparently was wrong. When re-tightened the sound went away. I don't know if the diff would have enough play to make a sound if only one bushing is bad and only one point of contact can move. I also had a bit more play in mine than your pic shows when I looked at it again.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Bob
    yeah I should have looked up your having PP springs. Would have eliminated it as a pos cause. But yes they both do it when coming to a stop.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

bighead,

thats encouraging to know that i *may* be on the right track. thanks for sharing your experience

bob

I'll have to check my bushings as well. I, too, get a clunk when coming to a stop. Next few days, if I'm off work before the sun goes down, I'll have to shimmy under the truck and take a look at the bushings. Need to lube the fittings anyways under there.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

Have you checked your saw bar links?....mine was clunking when my weight shifted and that was the problem.
    99 Black 4Runner SR5 4WD<br />SOLD: 98 4Runner Limited<br />98 Gold Land Cruiser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12