Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3VZE computer upgrade?

3VZE computer upgrade?

Does anyone think it is worth it to upgrade the computer with a JET module in a 1990 4Runner with a 3vze V6.
    Big T

Re: 3VZE computer upgrade???????

No.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Proper gearing, intake and exhaust mods are the only things that make having a 3VZE tolerable.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    No.
    X2
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

For those who say "no", care to state why? Has anyone actually tried it?

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

Re: 3VZE computer upgrade?

Ok, I can't help but jump in here...

There is NO magic pill to make the 3.0 a more powerful engine; this includes "chipped" computers. The engine is what it is, and reprogramming it's ECU doesn't change that. Some people make the assumption Toyota gimped the engine's performance for one reason or another, and therefore if they get a modified computer it could run at it's "full capacity." The cold hard truth is if you want your engine to be more powerful you need to lay down some real cash and upgrade the engine's intake and exhaust (cold air, headers, muffler & cat). After that, it's time for some real work in either swapping to a 3.4l, or doing some custom top-end modification.

All a chip will do is try to richen you fuel mixture and perhaps slightly advance your timing. Problem is, the gains will be essentially unnoticeable, and you'll get worse mileage in the process. IMO, anyone that says they're chipped 3.0 is running much better is just suffering from the placebo effect.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I agree with the others to pass on the JET chip. On the other hand, the 3vz-e has a lot to gain in the fuel and ignition control department. The flapper door AFM is the most archaic system for measuring airflow that I can think of and the ignition control is rather low tech as well. I feel there is a lot of power to be had by going to a more advanced system like the 5VZ-FE uses, but I am sure that is well beyond the scope of what you want to do. Before the 22R guys point fingers, its ignition system is even lower-tech.

I disagree with the others and say try it.

I had an exhaust leak where that cross over pipe meets with the drivers side manifold and my truck was running rich. I hauled rear. I fixed it, it got better at little mileage but lost power, a lot of power. That ECU with its different fuel and spark mapping can have a HUGE effect on engine power. No engine "is what it is" from the stand point of how it reacts to its own management systems.

Whether or not JET did their homework remains to be seen but we'll never know if someone doesn't step up and be guinea pig.

You can do it!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by elripster
    I disagree with the others and say try it.

I had an exhaust leak where that cross over pipe meets with the drivers side manifold and my truck was running rich. I hauled rear. I fixed it, it got better at little mileage but lost power, a lot of power. That ECU with its different fuel and spark mapping can have a HUGE effect on engine power. No engine "is what it is" from the stand point of how it reacts to its own management systems.

Whether or not JET did their homework remains to be seen but we'll never know if someone doesn't step up and be guinea pig.
    JET chips for the 3.0 live off of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence from people who say "my truck is so much faster now!!!" The "seat-o-the-pants" meter doesn't count as real proof that it works.

... but, when we (skeptical individuals) ask for REAL proof (as in a set of Dyno runs with AFR measurment) the arguments get suprisingly slim... People HAVE tried the JET chip before, and it doesn't do anything magical
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Cool, lets here from those that have tried it on this engine...

Jet has a few products, which were you looking at? One is at $250 which is a lot less than the $400 Hypertech.

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast