Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synthetic Winch Line ?

Re: Synthetic Winch Line ?

Very true. I have seen Sythetic break too, but I have never seen and pray that I never see any wire winch line break. I have sen pictures and heard the stories. Each winchline has its advantages.

Sythetic Winch line has it pro's and cons:

Advantages:
    • Safer - harmless if it breaks
    • Safer - frayed steel cable will rip your hands
    • Stronger (size for size)
    • Lighter Weight than wire
    • Easier to handle - makes complex rigging and re-rigging much quicker
    • Doesn't damage itself when criss-crossed on the drum
    • Can be spliced if it breaks
    • Doesn't rust

Disadvantages:
    • Expensive
    • Vulnerable to cutting and abrasion - care needed when rigging and possible additions of gaurds
    • Apparent softness makes users forget basic winch safety (gloves, hands clear etc.)

Obviously, there are circumstances under which steel is better, for example if you can't avoid chafing.

Unless it gets snagged, cut or melted, synthetic rope will take much more tension than steel cable of the same diameter, without breaking. More importantly, if it does break, there are no lethal ends flying around.
    Wil Kuhns<br />Sierra Expeditions <br /><br />The only regrets in life are the risks you didn&#039;t take.<br /><br />Mod Progress Gauge: [|||||||||-] = 90% Complete as of 03 FEB 2008. My Taco&#039;s Garage

I know everyone says that Syn. can/does reciol, but not near as bad as wire, does anyone know of videos of this ?
    Iremember seeing a video of Syn. line breaking, but cant remember where I seen it.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

If I remember correctly, there were some videos of syn line breaking floating around Pirate a while ago.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Speaking about ropes lines and cables.

http://hnsa.org/doc/nstm/ch613.pdf

Here is some good info that far surpasses just simple winch line that some may find useful.

reason i found this was i had Tattle tails on the mind after reading the comments about line breakage.

also while on the subject.

Monkey Fists.

good stuff.
    http://www.realknots.com/knots/faqknot.htm
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I had been running 5/16" amsteel blue from Rockstomper for years, snapped the line 3 times. Twice from getting cut on sharp rocks and the last time was when it snapped due to degradation, but the line was well used, mostly at work pulling stuck vehicles and such.

The video of when I snapped the line during the last recovery on it......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPp5Eqa5C7Y

This time I got 3/8" Viking Fireline from winchline.com, I must say it does spool up much easier than the smaller line and very pleased with it. If I need the extra distance, my old line was converted into an extention. One note......UV is killer on the line, so before I installed the new line I sealed all the holes where sunlight could come in contact and tape the front fairlead when not used.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

I use 3/8" on an 8000# winch. In the areas I need a winch, sand and mud and muck are the norm and a protective sheath, unless it's the entire length of the syn line, is pretty much useless. So, the 3/8" stuff buys me a little more time with abrasion and wear.

I use MasterPull, but I'll be switching to Viking next time, I do believe. I like the way the Viking line attaches to the drum better than the MP line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12