Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Fuel leaking from exhaust

Help! Fuel leaking from exhaust

Hey everyone. I started up the rig today and was checking over everything when I noticed that I had a leak in my exhaust:

I wouldn't have been so alarmed, but the smell of raw fuel was pretty heavy. How can that much fuel get into my exhaust system? I've had really bad gas mileage (11-13mpg) and I'm hoping this may have something to do with that. To give you an idea of the maintenance I've done recently to try and combat the poor gas mileage I've compiled a list below:

So far I have replaced:
    Front 02 Sensor
    MAF sensor
    Fuel Filter
    Fuel Pump
    Air Filter
    Spark Plugs
    Plug Wires
    TPS Sensor
    PCV valve
    Timing Belt
    Water Pump

and I've cleaned:
    IAC valve
    Throttle Body

Also, I noticed that by the time I had driven home, the leaky area had dried up, so it seems to be more of a problem when I'm first starting the truck. If you have any thoughts on getting this problem fixed I'm all ears! Thanks guys

- 2000 SR5 V6 - 4x4 - S/C - URD Fuel Upgrade Kit - 2.2" Pulley -

Re: Help! Fuel leaking from exhaust

are you 100% its gas?
    I would think that condensation coming out of the exhaust would smell like gas too. at least it did the one time i thought the same thing , but i tasted it and realized it wasn't.

Have you checked your cat? a clogged cat will cause bad gas mileage.
    seems you done everything but that.

If you have a laser temp gauge, if i remember right one side of the cat will be significantly hotter than the other.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

I'm not 100% sure it's gas, I just presumed because the smell was so strong. As a test maybe I will drive away from the puddle it creates, light a match, and see how flammable it is...

I will check the cat as soon as I can. Thanks for the reply
    - 2000 SR5 V6 - 4x4 - S/C - URD Fuel Upgrade Kit - 2.2&quot; Pulley -

Quote Originally Posted by TrackRunner
    As a test maybe I will drive away from the puddle it creates, light a match, and see how flammable it is...

That would be too cool.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

track,

my first question when i saw your pic was "who welded your muffler?" it looks like the pipe going into the muffler inlet is not even welded. it looks new too. can you speak more to your muffler? when it was installed, what kind, etc? and were your mileage issues predating the muffler install?

where in LA are you located?

also, you should attend the Pismo event on Oct 12 - 14th. its a great way to meet all of us So Cal guys.

bob

Bob,

The muffler was installed at major muffler on santa monica blvd. I still have the receipt, and was planning on going back after seeing the leak and telling them to get it done right. It looks like that definitely needs to happen. I purchased the muffler online from hottexhaust.com It is the Magnaflow 24" overall center/center muffler with 2.5" inlet/outlet. It was installed about two months ago. My poor mileage has been an ongoing problem though, and was an issue before the muffler install.

where in LA are you located?
    I'm in the Brentwood area.

I'm definitely interested in the Pismo event. I'm going to see if I can get my gf to take the weekend off. If she can I'm in!

Jon

- 2000 SR5 V6 - 4x4 - S/C - URD Fuel Upgrade Kit - 2.2&quot; Pulley -

Jon,

Definitely take it back. lost back pressure from an ill-fitted/welded muffler is not a good thing. you probably noticed a decrease in 'ooompf' when accelerating from a dead stop, right?

when did you start noticing the poor mpg?

regarding the poor gas mileage, looks like you did all the right things. can you tell us more about your truck's gearing and tires? upgrading tire size definitely makes a huge hit on mpg. that said, your mileage should not be in the 11's.

...unless you really push that SC you got under the hood there

Pismo: this event will be ginormous. you really need to make this trip. Chris (slosurfer) has put together one of the best events i've seen planned this year, which is also very well sponsored. there's a wealth of knowledge making this trip, so perhaps we can also help you in person.

Bob

I seriously doubt that is gas because if that much gas was coming out I doubt the engine would even run. More than likely that is just condensation in the exhaust getting blown out of the unwelded section of your new exhaust.

Now the heavy gas smell could be a clue to your bad gas mileage though. When you replaced all those parts, did you only use new parts? are they all OEM? can you pull a spark plug or two and post a pic? have you tuned your S/C mapping properly? What do the fuel maps look like?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Im not getting the condensation like your getting, but i sure the heck and getting the fuel milage like your experiancing. Im gettin like 13 - 14 mpg TOPS. Have no clue why this is. Even ran several tanks in pressure only.

And my fuel maps are set to when im in low boost : about 12 - 12.5 AFR and high boost is 11.5 - 12 AFR. But as i said i kept in pressure on a few tanks. So im lost, and near removing the fuel kit and ftc.
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo3
    Im not getting the condensation like your getting, but i sure the heck and getting the fuel milage like your experiancing. Im gettin like 13 - 14 mpg TOPS. Have no clue why this is. Even ran several tanks in pressure only.

And my fuel maps are set to when im in low boost : about 12 - 12.5 AFR and high boost is 11.5 - 12 AFR. But as i said i kept in pressure on a few tanks. So im lost, and near removing the fuel kit and ftc.
    I did notice that everyone that is getting poor gas mileage on a supercharged motor seems to be using the URD piggyback fuel upgrade kit while the people running the 7th injector seem to be getting near normal or slightly higher than normal MPG results. I almost wonder if it would be worth trying to splice in a later model (99-02) ECU to try and get back to more manageable fuel consumption levels. You might also see what Gadget had to say on people getting bad gas mileage with his URD setups and if there was some common causes for that as well.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast