Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Fuel leaking from exhaust

Re: Help! Fuel leaking from exhaust

When you replaced all those parts, did you only use new parts? are they all OEM? can you pull a spark plug or two and post a pic? have you tuned your S/C mapping properly? What do the fuel maps look like?
    The MAF sensor, TPS Sensor, and PCV valve were all OEM. I purchased the 02 Sensor from URD. Spark plugs are Denso IK22's, plug wires are NGK. Fuel filter, timing belt, and water pump were all replaced by my mechanic. He used to work for Toyota so he hopefully used the correct parts.. The fuel pump is a new Walrbo 190.

I will pull a couple of spark plugs and take a picture when I get a chance. I pulled them out with my mechanic about a month ago and they looked good though. They were also pretty pricey so I hope they are still okay.

As far as my fuel map goes, it isn't as dialed in as I would like it. I recently (read: two weeks ago) got my Runner back from the shop after getting the supercharger rebuilt by magnuson (under warranty! woohoo!). My previous map was very rich with the new charger, so I ended up loading the base map that shipped with the URD fuel kit. It helped a good amount, but I still had to pull quite a bit of fuel in the boost portion of the map. I was hoping that this was the cause for my poor gas mileage, but after all was said and done I'm still getting crappy mileage.

If you look at my fuel map, you can see that once you get into the boosted portion the numbers are much lower than in the vacuum section. My truck is either 14.7ish afr all the time or 11.5ish WOT. I can be boosting at 8psi and unless I floor the skinny pedal all the way, I will remain in closed loop. I've been waiting patiently for a revised ESC1 that works for the later model 4Runners (w/ fed. emissions) so I can avoid this situation.

Quick question. I re-gapped my plugs from .043 to .034 a while back. I've read that plugs gapped to small can cause bad gas mileage. Do you guys think that .034 is to small maybe? I had mileage problems before re-gapping, but if it's too small it definitely isn't helping anything!

I did notice that everyone that is getting poor gas mileage on a supercharged motor seems to be using the URD piggyback fuel upgrade kit while the people running the 7th injector seem to be getting near normal or slightly higher than normal MPG results.
    I thought it worth mentioning that I had bad mileage before the URD kit was installed. lucky me! But what really sucked was I bought the URD 6 larger injector kit one month before the URD 7th kit came out. I really wish they had told me it was on it's way because I would much rather have gotten the 7th kit. Oh well, it is what it is.

Im gettin like 13 - 14 mpg TOPS. Have no clue why this is. Even ran several tanks in pressure only.
    I've tried staying out of anything above 0Hg myself, doesn't help me either. What was your mileage before the URD kit? What was your mileage before the S/C?
    - 2000 SR5 V6 - 4x4 - S/C - URD Fuel Upgrade Kit - 2.2" Pulley -

Re: Help! Fuel leaking from exhaust

lost back pressure from an ill-fitted/welded muffler is not a good thing. you probably noticed a decrease in 'ooompf' when accelerating from a dead stop, right?
    Hahaha, I had read that the straight through design of the magnaflow muffler caused a loss in torque/gain in HP, and I had just chalked it up to that. I'm looking forward to getting some of that low end back!

when did you start noticing the poor mpg?
    a few days after I bought it. I just figured it needed some good maintenance and a replaced sensor or two.. how wrong was I!

can you tell us more about your truck's gearing and tires?
    The truck came from the factory with 265/70r16 tires and 4.10 gears. I called Toyota and gave them my VIN just to double check on that. I just put 265/75 MTs on her two weeks ago, but that hasn't adversely affected my mpg compared to what I was seeing before the change.

...unless you really push that SC you got under the hood there
    Some tanks of gas go faster than others..

Pismo: this event will be ginormous. you really need to make this trip. Chris (slosurfer) has put together one of the best events i've seen planned this year, which is also very well sponsored. there's a wealth of knowledge making this trip, so perhaps we can also help you in person.
    Do any of you guys have a link for more information on the event? I'm almost positive I will be able to make it, unless something at work comes up.

Edit: Never mind on the link. I found it

- 2000 SR5 V6 - 4x4 - S/C - URD Fuel Upgrade Kit - 2.2" Pulley -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12