Thread: 3rd gen SR5 black plastic fender flares

3rd gen SR5 black plastic fender flares

2000 SR5, I have a copy of the FSM for a 2002 runner (the only thing I could get as over on ih8mud they no longer offer the downloader as Toyota made some changes to their website), but it only shows the molding and flares for a limited, not the black plastic SR5.

I removed my flares to clean and wax and need the part numbers of the clips, since some of the clips are not reusable. In order to save 10 bucks does anyone have the pages from their FSM covering the guts of these flares? Or the part numbers if you are familiar with the parts that I am talking about. PM me or email me as well...

Much appreciated.

Steve
    pdxsteve@gmail.com

Re: 3rd gen SR5 black plastic fender flares

If you walk into any Toyota parts dept. they should be able to give you exactly what you need. My local place would probably give them to you free.
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

steve,

for something like this, just call your local parts guy and tell them what you are trying to do. this is an easy one for them. try northridgetoyota.com and ask for evan and/or tell the parts guy you want the ultimateyota.com discount.

also, you shoudl buy the rubber fender flare molding. look on jalaber's website and he has the part numbers for the rubber molding. http://top4runners.com/ja/flaretrim.html

bob

thanks for the response guys. bob, thanks to your great work at TOF I bought the black rubber molding because the flares were digging into my paint...

and then I noticed the truck needed to be waxed...

and then I wanted to make some drain holes in the flares because mud and dirt seemed to like to get trapped inside...

and then I wanted my faded flares to look more black...

I think I'll go with northridge. my local Toyota stealer really sucks.

OK FINAL question. What have you guys done to make the flares look more black. Back on the TOF I noticed wabbit mention a product called forever black.

OR, I thought about using plastic paint and painting them black. Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

i just used some "back to black" from Mothers on my mom's crv with all the faded abs trim, that car looks new!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

steve,

whatever you do, make sure you take the wax and whatever else is on it (oil, dirt, etc) off it. these textured flares love to hold in wax. 3M makes a great plastic safe wax remover...forget what its called, but 3M always makes the best stuff for things like this.

I had the body shop paint it black. It was semi-gloss black that was made for plastic. SEM (my favorite company for paints for plastic) makes both a plastic prep and plastic paint for this. check out their website.

btw, good idea on the drain holes in the flares

bob