Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: custom center console fab

custom center console fab

not sure if this is more the fab forum or 3rd gen 4runner, but here goes.

started my center console fab today. after living with that useless POS they called a console from the factory for over a year, i decided to junk it and start fresh. the design goals are: cupholders for both front and rear passengers, since i knifed the front cupholders that were broken anyway; a new home for my carpc; a better designed arm rest, something close to my arm, not 2 inches too low; and finally, get rid of the cracked armrest! it will also house a number of switches both for the computer and for general control of the vehicle electrical systems(whatever that is?).

Construction:
    the basic frame is being made of 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/16" square tube. its both light weight and strong. it will be covered in fiberglass, and painted black.

ok, enough alphanumeric characters, heres what you want, the pics. the black pieces of tape roughly represent the placement of mounting tabs that will be 1/8" plate

ill have plans up after im done with the fab, incase you want to make your own more progress tomorrow and in the coming week. hoping to have it at leastly mostly completed by pismo on the 12th.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: custom center console fab

Off to a good start Sean, keep it up!! Can't wait to see it finished
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I love your ingenuity but your almost crazy for doing this. Besides the rare SAS and dual cased 3rd gens, your prob the first one wiling to scrap the factory console. Looking forward to seeing the progress!
    &#039;96-&#039;02 4runner<br />When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser-

sean,

looking fwd to seeing what you build. good luck!

oh, are you going to make it a lockable storage unit? I hope you do because I've thought about building a lockable storage bin after some scumbag valet stole my gerber gator knife a few years back

bob

im thinking about making it lockable. problems i see is that the outer shell will be fiberglass (at least for now) and that isnt the most secure thing in the world. the idea for this is the whole shell can be lifted off to service parts underneith.

i wont have a ton of space for storage because the computer will take up quite a bit of room. im hoping i at least get some time to make the mounting tabs and brackets and test fit the computer case. im not sure if i should just mount the cage to the unit with screws so it can be removed, or make it slide out for easy maintence. im thinking the former for security and fab reasons.

hopefully more pics later today! thanks for the kind words.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

why not spot weld 1/16" plate or thinner? drill holes in the outer 1/16 metal about 1 to 1.5" from each other and spot weld.

ive decide to cover it in the 22 guage sheetmetal i have lying around.

didnt get to work on it today, had another project to do but ill get to it tomorrow. i miss having a console, seats, a computer, a vehicle. lol. i plan on having it in by wednesday. lots of pics by tomorrow night.

sadly no updates today. long story. anyway.

i do have this to say. it will be done tomorrow!

well, i am finally "done"

when i say done, im done with what i wanted/able to complete.

so i got the motherboard try welded in, mounting plates in, drilled and mounted to the vehicle. plus the driverside panel has been welded on, though its not pretty.

i negelected to realize the cables for my dc-dc power supply were so short, so i had to modify my plans for mounting. right now i have NO clue where it will be mounted, currently its just sitting there. i ran out of light, and was too tired and stinky to work. i got tired of grinding, and was sensing some hostility creeping over the fence, so i got just what i needed to done.

ill give you pictures now:

oh and ignore the orange... long story

as it sits now:

and my kitty loves having the passenger seat in the living room!

I hope you add some padding....looks like a "funny bone" killer.
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast