Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: custom center console fab

Re: custom center console fab

yea there will be a plastic tray in the top, with a flip up armrest. that will probably be next week.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
    some scumbag valet stole my gerber gator knife a few years back

bob
    What?!? How can this be? Oh wait... you only got your "num chucks" recently. I forgot.
    Less is more

Sean, cool idea...I have enjoyed the build progess thus far.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    2002 4Runner Sport 4WD
    My 4Runner Profile: Click Me

Looking cool! Something to think about as the project progress is keeping templates and measurements of the pieces that work so we can all have somewhere to start Those irregular lines along the bottom where the console will meet the floor and carpet will probably take several tries.

Secondly, what kind of housing are you planning for your car-puter? Do you plan to address vibration isolation/damping, etc?

Just wondered

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Hey Sean, off topic hijack, but do you have a pic of your Stock console, and what are your plans for it? i am looking for one VERY similar to that of my 04 Taco, to retro into my '84 Runner.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

to chris: not sure how similar they are, but youll get a pm eventually.

the sheetmetal on the left side is... well, amature. it will be redone after pismo, as im not happy with the result.

the computer is screwed into the orange piece of metal, right now the power supply is held on by a zip tie and some cardboard, the harddrive is actually shock mounted on memory foam. it will asorb shock but not bounce.

once i get back from pismo a full solidworks drawing is going to be done of all parts, except maybe the sheetmetal work on the outside.

i got the computer in and found my soundcard is toast. trying to track down a new one that is usb to avoid the problems with the pci slot ive had previously.

keep the comments and tips coming, i appreciate them!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

you gonna close up the computer? might want to with all the sand, dont wanna kill the parts
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

yea, ok long time no update, been doing other stuff. but in that time i learned some valuable things. one, its just a tad too wide, two, it was about an inch too high, three, the ebrake would work best if it was modified the same way for a 99 console.

so the ebrake mod is coming up, no point in documenting that as its clearly outlined in bob's guide on swapping in a 99 console. i chose not to narrow the width on mine, as it was acceptable (if i do produce these, i will narrow the base by 3/4 inch and the top by 1 inch). only modification i made for mine was lowering it 1 inch.

here are the pictures of it painted, after i cut, rewelded and ground it smooth. tomorrow will see another few coats of paint (black rustoleum hammer finish) and then i will start making the side panels for it. side panels will be made of 1/8" abs plastic, and i have not decided on an exterior finish for it yet. im considering the same plasti-cote spray rubberized finish i used on my custom radio bezel.

some notes for others if i decide to produce this: all right angle joints will be mitered and welded. this is something i SHOULD have done on mine, but hindsight is 20/20. i plan on improving on my design in the next iteration, but im very very happy with this right now. obviously not every one wants a console that holds a carPC, so ill also be working on a full size interior bucket for storage, as the carpc iteration will have a very shallow tray. also, i would appreciate any input from those with rear heaters, if there is interest, and ideas about fitting the rear heater.

ok, enough words, now to the metal pr0n.

also feel i should post an update on the computer.

with a brace for the sound card (the cause of many crashes in its old iteration) i have never had the computer crash as a result of vibration, shock, or what have you. even jumping the vehicle at pismo, which reversed a conical washer on my shock... no damage to my computer, and it has never skipped a beat.

What's up Sean! Awesome project man, if you need some extra computer parts let me know; I have a few older boxes laying around that you can cannibalize. Are you using a laptop hard drive for storage?
    - 2000 SR5 V6 - 4x4 - S/C - URD Fuel Upgrade Kit - 2.2" Pulley -

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast