Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who built thier own leafpacks?

Re: Who built thier own leafpacks?

Yeah, what I like about these is that you can keep re-arranging your pack as your needs change. Unfortunately, when I got my Downey rears I was too new to know any better and threw away my old packs like a dumbass. Live and learn.
    Less is more

I built the front leafs for my 4 Runner from two sets of 87 rears. It worked out great, and flexes awesome. It took some time to figure out how to cut things. I know I wrote down what I did somewhere, but I can't find it, and it's been so long I have no idea what I cut, and where.

I have some 4" '85 StuperLift springs, that the PO of my 85 pickup installed, you could have in a few weeks. They get you through a transition period, but you won't like them. They are as hard as a rock. If I jump in the bed, the sidewall of the tire at 25 psi flexes more than the springs...
    [size=10pt]4x Innovations - Quality Custom Toyota based tube products at a fair price[/size]<br /><br />Check out the 87 Runner trail rig.<br /><br />-Adam-

Okay - I guess I'm going to take the advice offered here. Sounds good to me.
    No sense doing things twice, so what do you guys say to some 2" Lift shackles, and sliders? I was talking to AxelIke, and I know that i can fit 33X9.5's without lift, just some pich weld pounding, so I figure, I can get 33's (or maybe just 32's) on with the shackles, and call it good, till its time and funds to build her right... Thanks guys. Oh, and Adam - no thanks on some rock hard springs. Thanks very much for the offer though.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Okay - I guess I'm going to take the advice offered here. Sounds good to me.
    No sense doing things twice, so what do you guys say to some 2" Lift shackles, and sliders? I was talking to AxelIke, and I know that i can fit 33X9.5's without lift, just some pich weld pounding, so I figure, I can get 33's (or maybe just 32's) on with the shackles, and call it good, till its time and funds to build her right... Thanks guys. Oh, and Adam - no thanks on some rock hard springs. Thanks very much for the offer though.
    Just checked back here for the first time in a while, sorry. I wouldn't run 33's if you want to keep any semblence of a crawl ratio. I ran some worn 34x9.5 swampers on my 4.10's/22re and I hated life. I ended up taking money I was saving for a welder and buying 4.7:1 t-case gears because I couldn't deal with the lack of crawl on the 34's. I say no more than 32's for now. Just my personal opinion, if you only plan to do easy dirt trails, etc, then it probably doesn't matter, but if you are getting into more rocks, the ability to go slow without serious wasting the clutch will be nice. (note, you will still waste it, just not as bad, haha)
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

I built mine out of 2 1985 rear leaf packs for the front, used 5 leafs and it turned out ok

Stock 1985 Pickup, 2001 4Runner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12