Thread: #$!@*^&! OIL FILTER!

#$!@*^&! OIL FILTER!

Is it just me or do you guys also struggle getting a new oil filters threads started on your 3rd gens?!? EVERYTIME I change the oil, I end up twisting that damn filter a thousand times before it'll go on. Removing the drivers fender skirt didn't help either.

And don't get me started on the horrendous mess I ALWAYS seem to make when removing the old filter... even with the stock diff skid removed. I tried jamming to 1/2 gallon milk jug with the bottom cut out under the filter to catch any run off, but all it only managed to grab a couple dribbles. May need to get HazMat involved next time....
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Tourist

Re: #$!@*^&! OIL FILTER!

Nope, just you.
    Guess slender little girly hands are good for something. I use an old veggie oil container as a funnel, fits without removing anything, clears the skid and works great. Hand fits in from above and the filter goes right on.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

Use a rag or two when removing the filter.

And it's just you when it comes to threading on the new filter, BTW.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;

nope, just you. :P
    -andy

Hmmm. Might be because I use an oversized Wix, but I think its mostly cause I can't 'see' what I'm doing. I have to align it be feel, which is where I run into trouble. The oversized filter holds a good bit more juice compared to the stock size, so a rag or two doesn't cut it.
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

Try spinning the filter the opposite way until you feel the threads click, then screw the filter on.
    ......but no, I don't have that issue either.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Try spinning the filter the opposite way until you feel the threads click, then screw the filter on.
    ......but no, I don't have that issue either.
    Jeez. Maybe I've got numb hands... which I guess would go along with my numb nutz.

never had a problem, in fact it's quite easy.

I can get the old one off and new one on so fast that there's never a mess
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

I used to have that problem but found that it really improved with some exercises to improve digital dexterity. A couple of my favorites are the one handed bra strap release as well as the garter belt clasp flip. I did have to do a lot of reps though.
    Less is more

My signature