Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd member install, need some help and advice.

Re: 3rd member install, need some help and advice.

well I think if I had the diff under my jack, it might help me from getting some injuries hehe. Issac said he would help. our parking lot is quite flat.

excuse me for my serious ignorance, what is a "flare" nut?
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I can hoist a diff. They are heavy.

A flare nut is a nut designed to push up against a flared end of pipe, such as your brake lines are.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    FSM?
    Maybe it's just me but I like having pretty pictures or a checklist to refer to. Especially when doing something for the first time.
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

A floor jack does help, but it can still be kinda scary if you let the diff get away from you and your thumbs are in the wrong place. Not a terribly difficult job though.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I'm going up to help tomorrow. No worries guys.

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    well I think if I had the diff under my jack, it might help me from getting some injuries hehe. Issac said he would help. our parking lot is quite flat.

If you dont have em get some they are very important tools when it comes to brakes and clutch work. a normal wrench will 9 time out of 10 just round it out. And then you will be in a bad place.

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Quote Originally Posted by reggie 00
    Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept

If you dont have em get some they are very important tools when it comes to brakes and clutch work. a normal wrench will 9 time out of 10 just round it out. And then you will be in a bad place.

thanks for the tip, i just got a 6 piece set with jack, jack stands, creeper, and tire chalks. ill do some more shopping tomorrow!!

Issac, ill send you a pm with my address. I plan to go ahead and get a breaker bar, because i dunno if their are any available outlets around campus for air tools.

I'm bringing up some of my stuff. We'll have air on site. I'm also bringing a breaker bar and a bunch of other stuff. In addition to the crap I keep in my truck full time, which is just cheaper stuff.

way to be a hero issac!!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

sweet, gonna get a pan to drop the fluid in, silicon is another thing right? i have 2 quarts of fluid, cant remember what else you wanted me to go ahead and get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12