Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big 3 wire upgrade

Re: Big 3 wire upgrade

SWEET thanks for the pics I was wondering how I was going to get those lugs on the 1/0 cable. my local welding supply store had the 1/0 cable at 3.65 a foot *EEK* and the lugs with 3/4 shrink tube.

4 foot of 1/0 cable, 3 1/0 lugs and shirnk tube came out to $25 bucks.

-=jason=-
    97&#039; SR5 3.4L 4x4 auto trans&nbsp; its Bone stock at the moment. <br /><br />-=Jason=-

Forgive me for not searching, but what exactly does this upgrade help with?
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Forgive me for not searching, but what exactly does this upgrade help with?
    voltage loss across the ground side - all electrical cicuits must make a loop, you can have a problem on the ground side or positive side that will affect things - it's just that the ground side usually has fewer wires (each accessory has one direct wire with a bunch on each fused circuit) and so if one ground goes bad, it could affect things across the board
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

if you running an amp, lots of light that draw alot of power this could help you out.
    imagine a fire hose and a garden hose which one can flow more water????

well the power/ground from the Factory is adequate for normal driving, but once you add lights or a system then its bottle necked by the smaller gauge power and even smaller gauge ground wires.

when I say the tiny 16 ga wire thay they used as a ground from the engine block to fire wall I just about shit my pants.

-=Jason=-
    97&#039; SR5 3.4L 4x4 auto trans&nbsp; its Bone stock at the moment. <br /><br />-=Jason=-

What are the lengths needed for the mod?
    What about using starter wires? If you go into Napa, AutoZone, kragen, etc they have starter wires from 1/2 a foot to a couple of feet long all with lugged ends of different types. I've used these to lengthen by battery leads, dual battery setup and even lengthening the leads on my winch.

for my 97 4runner

from + bat to alt = 12" of wire
    from - bat to frame = 20" not entirely sure here. might be 22"
    from - bat to random bolt on block = 18" of wire. ( you could go from the stock location which is passenger side behind engine, but the bolt on the engine is hard to get to.)
    like I said about 4" should be good but measure first you dont want to be short.

-=Jason=-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12