Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Tacoma Defect!?

Dangerous Tacoma Defect!?

I was just browsing Phoenix, AZ news looking for a story about an old acquaintance that was murdered and happened to come across this...
    http://www.kpho.com/video/14310861/index.html

Be careful out there.
    &#039;96-&#039;02 4runner<br />When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser-

Re: Dangerous Tacoma Defect!?

thanks for posting this rocket.

sounds very familar to the prius incidents recently.

those with 07's need to watch this. best thing to do would be shift into neutral, use the parking brakes with the regular brake pedal, and then once stopped, turn the vehicle off.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Anyone know if there are any issues (such as the mentioned drive by wire acceleration problem) with other vehicles like the 4runner which are also running the 4.0L motor? Also is this just 2007's or earlier years as well? I would think the system were pretty much interchangeable from both vehicles so I'd be curious if only the Tacoma actually showed the issue. It sounds like this might put a damper on me getting a Tacoma in the next 1-2 years.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Wow! I wish they had more info with that story. Like build dates, factories, etc... about the 20. I guess it's time to go over what to do with my wife if this happens to her. I'm thinking braking and throwing it in Neutral.

Also, I wonder how much of it was driver error or stupidity. I mean, the guy said it happened before and he even talked to his insurance agent about it, but it didn't say anything about him trying to get it fixed. He just kept driving it till an accident happened. With somebody stupid like that, I wouldn't rule out driver error. Really to me, the story is just too vague at this point and seemed more to just try to scare everyone and didn't include any of the important facts other than 2007 Tacoma.
    My signature

that is one bad thing about throttle by wire, you have no control over engine acceleration
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

oh how i LOVE mechanical linkages.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i should add, if this does happen to you, DO NOT turn off the engine, just put the vehicle in neutral, this way you still have power steering and ABS brakes, otherwise you are relying on your sheer strength to turn the wheel and stop the vehicle.

I was looking for more info on the problem and found this:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=213870
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

wow, i wonder what may happen to toyota and the tacoma drivers based on this situation.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i should add, if this does happen to you, DO NOT turn off the engine, just put the vehicle in neutral, this way you still have power steering and ABS brakes, otherwise you are relying on your sheer strength to turn the wheel and stop the vehicle.
    Actually the best thing you can do is turn off the engine, this may reset the system, then turn the key bak on again. It's not that difficult to brake and steer with no power.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast