Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HAVE YOU HUGGED AN ISLAMO-FACIST TODAY?

Re: HAVE YOU HUGGED AN ISLAMO-FACIST TODAY?

Quote Originally Posted by calrockx
    Yes, Hitler should have been allowed to speak at a university.
    Of course, I don't agree with his views. Nor would any reasonable person. But in that case I don't see it as the University giving him a soapbox to preach his sh*t, I see it as him making himself look like the crazy he was - and that would help unite others against him and help put an end to his actions.

at first, i was pretty perturbed that mr. holocaust denier was given a public forum to speak, especially in light of the strong liberal biased and hatred for anything remotely conservative at columbia. that said, i was glad the presidnet of the university gave little iranian hitler a roasting of epic proportions before his POS got up on the stage. that pretty much set the tone and from then on out, he was in full defensive mode. it was so bad that iranians were incensed at his treatment, but i think the exposure and the roasting showed them that america and americans are not going to throw the softball questions like larry king and believe all he says, even if its a liberal institution like columbia

Bob, while I agree that the roast that he got was very much needed, what I find interesting is how he WAS allowed to speak, where as David Horowitz at Emory University.

Video: http://www.incorrectu.com/2007/10/25...n-free-speech/

If free speech and the first amendment is touted so much by those that think it's fine to have people like Ahmadinejad speak, then I would like to know their reaction to the link I posted.

I believe in the first amendment, and free speech, so I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't be allowed to speak. I'm just pointing out potential hypocrisies. Maybe it had more to do with the audience at each of the speaker's events, however, I'm curious what those "protester's" thoughts are on Ahmadinejad speaking at Colombia.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5

at first, i was pretty perturbed that mr. holocaust denier was given a public forum to speak, especially in light of the strong liberal biased and hatred for anything remotely conservative at columbia. that said, i was glad the presidnet of the university gave little iranian hitler a roasting of epic proportions before his POS got up on the stage. that pretty much set the tone and from then on out, he was in full defensive mode. it was so bad that iranians were incensed at his treatment, but i think the exposure and the roasting showed them that america and americans are not going to throw the softball questions like larry king and believe all he says, even if its a liberal institution like columbia
    I actually disagree. I thought the comments by the university president were in poor taste and reflected badly on the University in particular and the U.S. as a whole. Imagine being invited to someones home and then being introduced to everyone as a piece of crap. Even if he is a piece of crap, let him demonstrate it himself. I would like to think that we can set a higher standard in this country, although in light of some of the stuff Oly is linking, that may be in question. I would add though that I did not see the event or have a full understanding of how it was scheduled to proceed. If the opening comments were to be the university presidents only opportunity to speak, then I might give his comments a little more latitude.
    Less is more

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Bob, while I agree that the roast that he got was very much needed, what I find interesting is how he WAS allowed to speak, where as David Horowitz at Emory University.

Video: http://www.incorrectu.com/2007/10/25...n-free-speech/

If free speech and the first amendment is touted so much by those that think it's fine to have people like Ahmadinejad speak, then I would like to know their reaction to the link I posted.

I believe in the first amendment, and free speech, so I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't be allowed to speak. I'm just pointing out potential hypocrisies. Maybe it had more to do with the audience at each of the speaker's events, however, I'm curious what those "protester's" thoughts are on Ahmadinejad speaking at Colombia.
    you should know me by now: of course i think most US college campuses are hypocritical about what/who can speak freely vs who/what cannot be said or allowed to speak

blknblu: i cannot tell if you saw the introductory roast, but if not, you might change your opinion about it being in poor taste. here it is. around 1:51, he gets what he deserves...in a scholarly way, of course:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oVDqOWOyRdU

in my opinion, he was introduced properly...his own words and twisted beliefs were made public to the forum and by default, there was no way he could not avoid them as he did in a recent 60 minutes interview (links below):

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

in it, he is confronted about iranian weapons being used to kill americans. he deflects over and over by saying "you are talking like a cia or fbi agent" and repeatedly smiles and laughs to deflect attention from the blood on his hands. sickening. i just want to beat that guy with a golf club.

Well thanks for that. The clip I heard was really only the minute or so of harsh words that taken out of context of the prceding 6-7 minutes of speech, sounded rude. In context of the entire speech, it seems more appropriate.
    Less is more

blknblu,

thats why i love the internets i agree, it sounded way above and beyond what we would expect a president of an ivy league school would say. when i first saw the clip, it was the part where the pres was condemning him for being a "petty dictator." my first reaction was "damn, man has some balls!" so i had to watch the rest.

Everyone has the right to speak their mind. In turn, each audience member has the option of agreeing/disagreeing with them. I respect the right of the author of that article/ speaker at a university to think what they want, I have the right to think they are complete morons for their views.

I'll say that the liberal view tends to get bashed as "weak-minded/pansy-ish" on these kinds of boards b/c of the majority of conservative-minded individuals interested in off-roading etc. Yes I'm stereotyping to a degree but it seems to hold true in many of the threads I have seen here and elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's just important to remember we should at least attempt to respect everyone's views even though they may differ substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrythewound
    Everyone has the right to speak their mind. In turn, each audience member has the option of agreeing/disagreeing with them. I respect the right of the author of that article/ speaker at a university to think what they want, I have the right to think they are complete morons for their views.

I'll say that the liberal view tends to get bashed as "weak-minded/pansy-ish" on these kinds of boards b/c of the majority of conservative-minded individuals interested in off-roading etc. Yes I'm stereotyping to a degree but it seems to hold true in many of the threads I have seen here and elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's just important to remember we should at least attempt to respect everyone's views even though they may differ substantially.
    Very true, at the end of the day we should be able to go down to the bar and grab a beer together.

My point wasn't about saying these people don't have a right to their own opinion, it was directed at their reaction to an opposing opinion of their own.

I will sit down at the table and discuss politics, AND respect differing opinions, so long as I receive the same treatment. I will not show respect for those that fail to do so for me.

Henry, I will say that stereotypes have to come from somewhere, meaning that at some level the stereotype is true whether it be for an entire group, or a small minority.

Yes liberals are viewed that way, just as conservatives tend to be viewed as "war mongers, etc."

The crazies of each side tend to give off those impressions, it's us "normal" folk that tend to not be heard.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

The point of sharia law is to impose one's moral will on the unwilling where innocent life doesn't hang in the balance.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Guys I have been lurking around this thread from the beginning and find it to be stimulating to say the least. Many interesting points of view.

I do however find it odd that a man who would probably not allow you to go into a Irainian University and speak out about capitalism, free democracy, women's rights, the human rights violations of his country.... comes here and has a forum in our country and does that very same concept.

This man is by no means the only person to come here and take full advantage or our civil liberties without contributing to the very same system that provides them. Illegal imigrants do it every single day. Do these truly apply to non citizens?

I know this is not directly linked to the topic of the thread but so many people are living here who are not proud to be American living in America but they have no problem at all raping our system of it's benefits.

I think even with our faults and problems we are the most forgiving, tolerant, generous and open society that I have seen in my travels which do include a very good portion of the middle east although not Iran.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123