Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finished a couple more LED projects

Re: Finished a couple more LED projects

fake chrome and gold
    Heck yeah. I should put those on the Subaru.
    I need to take a few pictures of mine in action. I could post them on a Chevy site but those guys would like, "Well how bright do they need to be to shine on my 22's? Does it matter than I have a 14" lift?"

Hey Ken, turn key (think: Lot's of Trader Jose).

All you guys from Pismo 4RJ that made fun of my Trader Jose beer were just jealous!

paddlenbike - do you use one puck per LED? Or if you were using the 350ma LED's could you use one 700ma puck to drive two 350ma LED's?
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

One puck will drive as many LEDs at the specified current as long as you have enough voltage to overcome the LEDs forward current. That's a lot of words in one sentence--imagine one 350 mA puck and one LED with a 3.6V forward current. Add a second LED in series and each LED still receives 350mA, however the forward voltage has doubled to 7.2 volts. The puck itself has a 2 volt overhead, so you can pretty much only run two 3.6V LEDs from 12 volts. Does that make sense?

The Cree LEDs I used can handle between 350 and 1000mA. What you could do is power four Cree LEDs at 500mA by using ONE 1000mA puck and running the LEDs in series-parallel. The two circuits in the parallel will cut the amperage from 1000mA to 500mA and the two LEDs in series will get 500mA each.

Not to hijack Paddlenbike's thread with an influx of awesome Chevy mods here are a few pictures of my LED's. It's getting darker earlier so I have no excuse to not get out and get a good picture. These are a little blurry, camera was set on Auto. Night mode shows the light much brighter. Actual light is a little brighter than appears when the picture is taken on Auto. I have 4 Cree XR-E's. Each 'string' has one puck and 2 stars. Each string is controlled in cab via lighted switch.

The idea for the bumper lights is to light up the ground behind the truck. This is helpful when setting up camp, cooking, etc. The light actually floods really well and isn't captured well in the picture. I am toying with the idea of replacing the stock bumper with a tubed bumper a buddy made. I have to cut the rear rockers away. Good for rocks but maybe not so good for resale. Anyways, if that happens I'll move the Cree's and there will be a lot more flood.

The bed lights are for the bed. The cargo light on the rear of the cab is OK but not bright enough. Plus, when the tool box lid is open it blocks all the light. These lights are nice when loading and unloading. I like to sleep in the bed when car camping and the light is a bonus. The rear most LED is mounted in a magnet with extra wire. I can move it around which is nice, I can also pull all the wire out and stick it to the outside of the truck if I need extra light. Aiming it to the back is nice when cooking on the tailgate. The of the bed LED lives in a gutted out Kragen fog light. It's just something to house it. It was already there so I left it. I want something a little different but haven't found anything yet.

And last but not least a picture of my Axim mounted in the cab. I have the same mount as Ken but I like to view my map in landscape mode. Mine is hardwired and the GPS now has a Pismo tested restraint system that works quite well.

ya. now get your act in gear and fix my 'runner up! Fortunately, the fact that my 4runner sleeps 2 comfortably and Ken looked like a bavarian pretzel in his for three days made me feel a little better!
    Scott
    2017 blue 4runner ORP / Shrockwork sliders, RCI skids, and a small pile of not-yet-installed bits.
    (Proud recipient of $22,000 in damage within the first five months of ownership. Darnit.)

haha, I wasn't trying to make fun of your light...in fact, I think the sunburn I now have is from trying to read in the 4Runner that night, not from the Death Valley sun.

And yes, a sleeping platform is something I am now beginning to think about.

I can post this pic now that Scott has his own LED interior light. This photo is completed un-doctored, but it illustrates the difference in illumination between my LED setup and a stock 4Runner cargo light:

Note the amount of light spill onto the ground as well as the difference in interior illumination. Did I mention this is more efficient than stock too?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast