Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunroof Drain Tubes

Sunroof Drain Tubes

So its getting to the rainy season here in Vancouver and lo and behold I got wet floors and I figure as its coming from the drain tubes being plugged.

So I've done LOTS of searching but can't find any definite answer so my question is that of where are the drain tubes? It seems they are behind the kick panels on the driver and passenger side? And if so I simply have to remove the kick panels to gain access right?

Re: Sunroof Drain Tubes

the rears drain out the back windows, and IIRC, the front down the A pillar
    there are 4??? holes around the roof = 4 drain points
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

firebane,

make sure you seal the torx screw holes on your roof rack with some silicone sealant. i recall that some of the east coast guys sealed the holes up after retightening the torx screws down with some silicone sealant. if that doenst work, send me a pm to remind me to look up that drain hole info for you

Damnit wasn't hoping to be that much work hahahaha. Ah well guess I'll just pull it apart and see first and get back to you about the tubes.

I had this problem a couple of years ago. The dealer shoot some compress air through the drain tubes to unclog them and guess what . . . free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane
    Damnit wasn't hoping to be that much work hahahaha. Ah well guess I'll just pull it apart and see first and get back to you about the tubes.
    its not that difficult. there are a few #24 (iirc) torx screws. unscrew them until the roof rack rail sits level with the two plastic end caps. gently pop off the end caps and the continue to back out the torx screws. lift off the rails, clean all the accumulated crap, and wax the area (hey, might as well ). put a light coating of silicone sealant around the outside of the hole, reseat the rails and end caps, thread the torx screws a little bit, and put some more sealant just under the torx screw head. screw down the torx screws and you are pretty much guaranteed that you will not have a water leak from the roof rack rail area.

Bob,

How many of these leak ??? I am not aware of a problem but is it a good idea anyway or is it limited to certain vehicles ?

Thanks

David

i'm not suffering from leaking floorboards...yet, but i do have a sunroof problem. after rain (and hell, even after morning dew the other day) i'll have a fairly wet spot directly in the middle of the sunroof closest to the windshield. i also took it to the service bay and the guy cleaned the gutters and they problem still persists. same problem?
    <br /><br />
    883/LC with OME/PC shocks ∙ 2&quot; body lift ∙ ARB bull bar
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

Quote Originally Posted by roor runner
    i'm not suffering from leaking floorboards...yet, but i do have a sunroof problem. after rain (and hell, even after morning dew the other day) i'll have a fairly wet spot directly in the middle of the sunroof closest to the windshield. i also took it to the service bay and the guy cleaned the gutters and they problem still persists. same problem?
    EXACT thing happened to me, I had the drains cleaned twice to no success....ended up getting a whole new sunroof
    99 Black 4Runner SR5 4WD<br />SOLD: 98 4Runner Limited<br />98 Gold Land Cruiser

Alright so did the roof rack thing and still leaks

So frustrating with this rain

Oh and to top it off! It has leaked near the handle on the a-pillar :\

UPDATE
    Ok so when the sunroof is open if you look towards the front you'll see two small holes that is the start of the drain tubes for the front, these tubes end up draining out at the bottom of the kick panel on the driver and passenger side.

You get to these by removing the door sill (4 screws) and popping it off which allows you to remove the kick panel cover and at the bottom will be a piece of sponge in the hole for the drain tube.

Still looking for the rears

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast