Thread: Removable/Stock'ish TacoPC project

Removable/Stock'ish TacoPC project

Hi, my first post here. I have been a long-standing member over at mp3car.com and have had 3 carpc's over my time being a member there, and now that I have a Tacoma (07, TRD Sport, 4x4, Double Cab), I figured I'd post my worklog over here for those of you that had been wanting to do the same. I'm very much all for sharing ideas and discussions on this topic, so if anyone of you has suggestions, questions, comments, etc, I'd love to hear them.

I knew my last car inside and out (02 nissan maxima se, 6spd), but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to become that intimate with the Tacoma.. yet. Anyway, here is where I'm at thus far in the carpc process.

I wanted to go a different route than I did with my Maxima and that is to go with stock audio system, but as always, leave room for upgrades later on. With that in mind, I had to stick with the stock headunit to start with, so I needed a new location for the all important lcd.

In the images below, you can get an idea of the basic idea for location and fitment. I used regular posterboard and foamcore that I purchased from Staples. I also used a method of getting the shape of the opening that I was going to use by putting painters tape over it and following the opening with an xacto blade to give me the exact shape (or near exaact for now).

The result is a basic idea of how the lcd will look, while also mimicking the same aluminum treatment used on the gear shifter trim piece.

The final method of fabrication has yet to be determined, but will most likely be one of the following:
    * Fiberglass the lcd faceplate and base housing
    * Vacuum/thermo-form the lcd faceplate and fiberglass the base housing

---

As far as the guts of the system goes, well I haven't decided if I want to use my existing hardware or purchase new and updated gear. Regardless here is what I have and after that is what I'd like to get.

---

Have:
    * 7" Gain touchscreen LCD (serial port connection for the touchscreen)
    * Asus Pundit-R micro-atx system
    * 2.4ghz Celeron processor
    * 1gb RAM
    * 250gb pata hd
    * onboard ati r200 video
    * onboard 5.1ch realtek audio
    * usb 802.11g/b wifi stick
    * usb bluetooth stick (for connection to 3g hspda connection via cellphone)
    * teac dvd-rw drive
    * carnetix p1900 with mac pac and additional 5v addon
    * usb bu-353 gps receiver

Want:
    * apple mac mini (2.0ghz C2D)
    * 2gb RAM
    * 120gb hd
    * 80gb ipod video (rockboxed, used as media storage drive)
    * built in dvdrw
    * built in intel gma950 video (hopefully it can do widescreen native resolutions)
    * built in "digital" audio, not sure of specs exactly
    * built in wifi and bluetooth
    * use existing carnetix p1900 with mac pac and additional 5v addon
    * usb bu-353 gps receiver or switch to a bluetooth model
    * the lcd is a tough call... I can either go with an 8" screen and redesign the initially designed faceplate (setup initially for 7" lcd) or get a new transflective 7" lcd, though transflective may not be necessary considering the placement of the lcd.. Currently, just using my naked eye, that area doesn't seem to get much sunlight, so I'm wanting to go under that assumption.

So, I'm taking this project slower than I did last time and not rushing things to have a better looking system (and better working). I want to leave myself several options for upgrades in the audio department depending on the setup I go with.

More updates to come as I have them.

Thanks for reading and please feel free to post comments, questions, suggestions, etc.

Pictures of my Tacoma (Flickr)

EDIT Cebby: Fixed Link

Re: Removable/Stock'ish TacoPC project

glad you made it over here!

LOVE the new taco's interior, much more carpc friendly than the 1st gen taco/3rd gen 4runner!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.