Thread: Volt meter is reading high readings from a 2000 cherokee sport

Volt meter is reading high readings from a 2000 cherokee sport

the volt meter from my neighbor Liz's jeep (id prob consider her my gf but not really) and her jeep is also having a clicking sound.

alternator is spinning to high and pushing to much ampage maybe?

i have no idea

the jeep/chrylser dealership is full of retards.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: Volt meter is reading high readings from a 2000 cherokee sport

So what's the voltage?
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

center is 14, high is 21 i think.

she took me to my bday dinner and i sat up front to see if it would do it, no dice, but I dont think its gonna go away. You know what I told her

Sell it and get a 4runner.

shes agreeing, but she didnt buy this, her dad bought it and her mom (divorced from her dad) was like what an idiot because her dad bought a grand C for her brother that is a huge headache, thought he would learn with Liz, obviously not.

it has orange peel alll over the paint!!!

plus they had issues with the dealership when they bought it, i wish I told her dad what to do, because obviously he had no idea how to buy a car, i would have walked away from that shady crap.

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    center is 14, high is 21 i think.
    Blake, 15V charging is too high for most vehicles.
    If you see 21V you're gonna roast a 12V battery bigtime (vehicle wiring could catch fire in a worst case scenario).

Most vehicles (Toyotas anyway) sit at around 14.0 - 14.5V with the engine running.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

14 is what i've seen. 21 is ridiculous. As you said, fix is easy, sell it, get 4runner.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

im tryin to convince her, maybe i can talk with her mom today (since she is here for the week) and get her to sell it, ill detail it for her lol

that thing is a POS, been since the start shes had it which is only like 2.5 months

I'd at least get a multimeter and put it to the battery, then the alternator. Check the battery cables, starter cables and all the grounds. Maybe do a little google search. My parents have an Explorer that was recently giving them problems. It would surge in regular traffic. My Dad took it to 2 tranny shops thinking it was the problem. Problem was the alternator. It was dying which was killing the computer. The computer would go into limp mode, then out, then in again as the battery was getting worked from the dying alternator. The dealer threw in a alternator and fired it up. The alternator was said to be near glowing after a couple of minutes. I guess it was a combination of it being brand new, having to work hard to charge the battery (they should have put the battery on a charger), and a computer messing things up. It works fine now but before and after the alternator died the in dash volt meter was all over the place (mostly high-on H, no #'s). Maybe take it to get the charging system tested, it's free and may answer some questions.

cables were corroded so badly, batt fried itself later.

new cables and batt, and im gonna push her to sell it.

her mom said SELL IT right then and there when they took it in.

gonna help her find a 3rd gen, she kinda likes them a lot, plus ive seen 97-98 4runners for around the same price we can sell her jeep for. i think she could even get a 4runner for 10k thats nice and finance it for the difference, build up her credit and have a nice vehicle that wont crap particles down the interstate.