Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless Routers

Re: Wireless Routers

use a WEP key
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

yup..you should be able to setup your wireless so that its password protected.
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

dont broadcast your SSID

limit the nmber of wireless ip addresses to the actual number of computers you have that are connecting wireless.

&#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Hey all,
    I greatly appreciate all your help and suggestions, but we decided to go another route, lol
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

my wireless router died a few weeks ago, fortunately Fry's electronics had a sale, I ended up going the $$$ route and getting a Linksys wireless-N Gigabit Gamming router. The range is awesome compared to my old "G" router, my laptop with built-in G gets full bars throughout my house now, when I used to lose reception, but I did pick-up an N card for it....
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

If you do decide to revisit this topic for your setup, Ric, I know that all the consumer Linksys wireless routers also have a couple ports in the back to connect Ethernet cable for your desktop.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;

awesome, thanks for he heads up
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Use the "MAC Address filter" feature in conjunction with your preferred WEP,WPA/WPA2. Just be sure to specify that 'only addresses' on the MAC address filter list are permitted to connect. MAC addresses are unique to specific network adapters, so by turning on MAC filtering you can limit network access to only your systems (or those you know about). Establishing a MAC address filter list prevents unknown devices, regardless of your WEP, WPA/WPA2 security settings, from connecting. Be aware that MAC addresses can be spoofed (imitated), but the majority of people don't know its even possible nor how to do it.

Not sure how to find out what your MAC address is?:
    Windows = Go to the "Start" button, "Run", then type "cmd" or "command". Once the DOS CLI (command line interface) opens, type "ipconfig /all" and look for the wireless network device. The "Physical Address" is the MAC addy.

Mac (Apple)= open "Terminal", then type "ifconfig". The alphanumeric string to the right of "ether" is the MAC (the Airport is typically "en1:"). Or you can go to "System Preferences", "Network", highlight "Airport", select the "Advance". The "Airport ID" is the MAC address.
    -Scott<br />&#039;01 Black SR5 4x4 w/ Black Pearl&#039;s: Detroit Truetrac | Tundra/OME 890s w/ Tokico Trekmasters | SS Diff Drop/Panhard | Tundra rotors/calipers | Rear Diff Breather Extension | Hayden cooler | K&amp;N | ISR | Deckplate | Jet Black PC&#039;d LC 16x8&#039;s w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper S/T&#039;s

I use WPA/TKIP encryption and a MAC filter on my linksys wireless router at home, works fine with no decrease in speed or anything. The cards we have on my fiance's laptop and desktop don't support WPA2 otherwise I'd use that (my computer stays plugged into the router through ethernet).

One of my friends that is an electrical engineer who works for an industrial supplier in Tempe showed me how easy it is to crack into a WEP encrypted network, it's kinda scary Definitely go with at a bare minimum a MAC filter, and WPA if you've got it. Also on the plus side, WEP uses a hex key that's hard to remember, whereas WPA uses a password.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12