Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a mountain bike

Re: looking for a mountain bike

Wow you went all out for your beginner rig. I use to have an iron horse and loved it. I am suprised that you went with a full suspension for your first real mountain bike. Usually people will learn how to handle on a hardtail. I am not trying to dissapoint you in your purchase it is actually a very nice bike! you will love it! oh and by the way, you can sell those Avid BB5 brakes and upgrade to the BB7s but the BB5s are still really good mechanical brakes! Good Buy and good price too.
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

yea the I hate having to buy something again...so since this was a great deal for a full susp, i decided to get it. I originally was going to get a hardtail. Another thing thats kinda cool is that they use air shocks, so I can always fill them up with air to make them a lot stiffer.
    1996 4runner SR5- Bunch of goodies that make it clunck<br /><br />2008 Acura TL

Yeah did you buy a shock pump yet? You will need one to put air in the shocks. If you havent bought one yet let me know and i will see how much i can get one to you for (i work at a bike shop). If i cant get it for you at a good price id suggest pricepoint.com or helping your local bike shop out by giving them your business!
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

good point and I was wondering if he knew this when he posted about his air shocks. They can only be filled and adjusted with a shock pump (low volume-high pressure)

Only thing I mail order for the bike now is tires. I like to try and keep the shops in the good so that there is a place to take the bike into for its yearly or crashly tune ups. Only so much I can do with the tools I have. So I give them my accessory business even though they are more expensive. Also easier to get warantee exchanges at a physical shop.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Physical shops are losing money due to online "shops". This scares me considering I plan on owning my own bike shop when I am done with college. I will have to admit to buying parts online but I also support the bike shop a lot.

we have a big shop that is now a chain of stores called bicyclewarehouse. They have a web site but the started with just one shop in SD and now have 3. So they are doing something right. I think it also helps that people bike all year around here in socal and we have some fantastic riding. Even the roadies have a lot to choose from and the area as a whole is pretty bike friendly with lanes and dedicated bike paths.

When I lived closer to work I used to switch to a set of roady rims and commute on my full suspension bike with the shocks locked out. It worked pretty well although a road bike would have been a ton faster still. I miss that now that I live so much farther from work but they sort of have issues with bikes on the Coronado Bridge. LOL
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

i actually bought a bike shock air pump today...it was only 19.99 and with 20% off, it wasnt too bad. I also get 10% back on all my purchases.

I bought some Forte CM210 shoes today and tested them out. They are wayyy to stiff for my liking...so im going to look for a more comfortable clipless shoe.

If the price difference is around 10$, i will buy from a local shop, but if its a lot more, then I will order online.

The cost of the bike is just the beginning of your expenses. Soon you will want better shoes, components, places to ride, etc etc. I just finished buying parts for a 29" mtb I am building and I blew through my $700 "budget" and am sitting closer to $1000. As soon as the parts all get in I'll post some pics. There is always something nicer out ther, I try to get something at the leading edge of "good" and be happy with that. After "good" bikes and on into "great" it starts getting really expensive IMO. As long as you use it the $$ spent is justified, however.

yea, I think the bike i have will be good enough for my plans. I dont plan on doing anything hardcore, just the casual ride to get outdoors and to exercise.

anyone know what pressure the rear Manitou Radium R shock shock should be set at? I have it at 100 right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast