Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Would you become a Canadian for $200k/yr. ?

Re: Would you become a Canadian for $200k/yr. ?

Although I look at the whole thing a bit different than most, I'll just say that if I felt God was leading my to Canada, I'd do it. Of course, I also ascribe to the belief that "Where God guides, He provides", so I wouldn't really be worried about the money.

On a side note, I just watched a climbing movie about Squamish and also watched some MTB clips of Whistler, so Canada's looking might fine to me right now...
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Quote Originally Posted by rubysRunner
    Do it...you won't regret it.
    Here's the deal. I might.

Given my job right now, I'm a pretty integral part of it. If I leave, there'll be a big hole left in it (I'm not trying to boast, I hate that I have to put it that way, but that's the way it is)

I'm working here with good people, all of whom are my friends. So, if I leave, I'm leaving more than just a job. As of right now, I'm planning on staying here. We'll see if I get to head up there for a tour and a personal interview, if not, no big deal.

Also, I was wondering what is the deal with guns up there. What are the laws regarding guns up there?
    I understand about having close relationships with your coworkers. If I didn't have so many good friends at work, I probably would have moved on by now. I do think that you're being presented with what could be an amazing opportunity though. I lived in Calgary briefly, it's a really nice city. It's not so far from Montana...and you'll be that much closer to BC Judging from your interests and hobbies (photography, camping, wheeling etc), I think you'd really like Canada. It sounds like you're well respected by your current employer, if you moved up here and totally hated it, would it be a stretch to think they may welcome you back? You're young, and it's the perfect time to seize opportunities like this IMO. Basically, if I were you Oly, I'd do it.

As far as gun laws go, I don't know specifically. I do know that we don't have the right to bare arms per se. As far as I understand as long as everything is registered properly it's OK for hunting etc. Definitely can't walk around packin heat though.

Here's some links that might help:
    The Canadian Firearms Act
    Canada Firearms Centre
    Canada's Gun Laws for Americans

and a little info on the city:
    Cowtown Wiki

Julie aka Jules, Ju, Ruby<br />95 Runner SR5 22re 5spd stock till next year--saving my pennies like a good little girl&nbsp;

I'm not sure on Alberta gun laws specifically and while there's no amendment to bear arms as Ruby mentioned, plenty of people in Canada do own firearms. It will vary quite a bit from province to province as to what is acceptable and there is a national gun registry you need to follow, but that being said, Alberta is alot like Texas if you get my drift. If you're out in the bush by yourself nobody's gonna give you a hard time for bringing a gun with you for self defense. Don't expect to go waltzing into Costco with an NYPD style holstered pistol either.....they got rid of the beside the door gun check at Walmart so now you gotta leave them in the car while shopping.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Nice! The CDN is up to $0.88 on the USD today and headed to over $0.90 pretty soon I'll bet if gas prices or other commodities start really heating up again. I keep hearing reports of it coming to par but $0.10 is a long way to travel so I guess we'll have to just wait and see.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I live in Calgary so if you want to talk let me know. I have lived here all my life so I have an interesting point of view.

As far as gun laws there are some rules. I have all the needed licenses, etc. so give me a call.

PM me & I can give you my phone number if you want
    1992 4runner

Hey Celica, good to see you over here.

I heard you can still get free land up in Canada... is this still true???

military_stang
    I&#039;m here for some help with my rig...&nbsp; http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/b040.gif <br /><br />&quot;The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of there dreams&quot;<br />-Unknown-<br /><br />&quot;Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and everything!&quot;<br />-Plato-<br /><br />IT&#039;S MY TRUCK<br /><br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2601155

Quote Originally Posted by military_stang
    I heard you can still get free land up in Canada... is this still true???
    Sure, anyone can stake out a nice little piece up by the actic circle if you want.
    Gettting running water and electricity to the property is all on you though.

lol, i see... i wanted to get some land up there cause it's absolutly beautiful, but i enjoy Washington State a lot more, hehe

military_stang
    I&#039;m here for some help with my rig...&nbsp; http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/verschiedene/b040.gif <br /><br />&quot;The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of there dreams&quot;<br />-Unknown-<br /><br />&quot;Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and everything!&quot;<br />-Plato-<br /><br />IT&#039;S MY TRUCK<br /><br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2601155

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Hey Celica, good to see you over here.
    Thanks, still getting used to the new forum layout.
    1992 4runner

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast