Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should be getting a new toy soon...

should be getting a new toy soon...

but it's not a SUV or truck...

it's an 85 Celica GT-S Convertible, black with black top and gray interior. however, it's an auto, but it's not the end of the world...

pretty much exactly like this one, but it has the factory spoiler on the trunk lid:

it's my mother-in-law's. she drove it off the showroom floor w/ 3 miles on it and now it has about 80k, garage kept since new, and rarely even driven in the rain. currently 100% complete, but it needs to have the convertible top motor R/R'd and rewound. that's the only thing on it that's not MINT.

she's been thinking of getting rid of it, and val and i have the convertible fever since our trip to tempe last year and tampa last weekend.

anyway, a little tune-up, some TLC, and repairing the top motor and it should be an incredible little car to have around.

i'll post up pics when we get it - probably over the thanksgiving weekend...
    -andy

Re: should be getting a new toy soon...

nice, thing looks really cool, that would be something worth trying to get myself.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Awesome. I've always loved those cars; a Supra's little brother.

do a 5spd swap. is it rear wheel drive?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

we'll keep it all original, and that way the wife can drive the auto easier.

yeah, it's RWD too. there's a few tweaks to get the HP and torque up a bit, and i may do them, but we're not worried about the quickness as much as the toplessness.
    -andy

my brother had an 85 supra...you konw, when supras were somewhat affordable it was a great car that wouldve been a nice hand me down, but that never happened andy, the celicas as im sure you know are great cars. if someone were selling that with that low miles, shoot, i might take a nice hard look too!

nice score andy..that thing looks mint!
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

Those are a popular platform for a 1UZ swap.

I had an 87 GTS - looks like the same seats - THE MOST COMFY SEATS EVAR!!!
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Nice! I like the old-school Toyotas. My bro used to have an '88 Celica All-Trac Turbo. Too bad he sold it.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by d0ubledown
    nice score andy..that thing looks mint!
    lol... that's not IT, that's just one LIKE it. the one we're getting is even better. i'm not kidding when i say that it's been babied like no other. it has lived it's entire life in a garage and when it rained, she drove another car. she only took it out when the weather was nice and she wanted to take the top down.

i'm trying to remember if it has 61k or 81k... the last time i drove it was about two years ago on a whim to go to the store.

i looked online and it apparently has a hydraulic system for the power top. it's been to the local toyota dealer and they said the motor for the system was bad and they could not locate a replacement. that was about a year-and-a-half ago. i mentioned getting the current motor out and having it rewound/refirbed, but she really doesn't drive it anymore (2007 ES350 that she got last Christmas and it only has ~1500 miles on it so far). we're going over on thanksgiving, and we may bring it back then if we have time for me to check it out to make sure everything's safe for the 220-mile drive. it probably hasn't been driven 500-miles total in the last 5 years!
    -andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast