Thread: New head unit opinions

New head unit opinions

I am finally ready to get a new headunit, I think my factory CD player is soon to die. This is the one that catches my eye right now

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...WGX700&tp=5684

I really want a double din, and that seems to be the only option. I wish I could find something that was green buttons and backlight to match the interior light colors but that isnt a huge priority. Any other suggestions? I dont plan on spending any more than 250.

Will this improve my sound quality at all? I have the premium sound from Toyota.

Also, another questions, it says it has a built in head unit, does this mean that I take out the OEM Amp? That would help a lot with my CB in the ashtray problems.
    99 Toy 4Runner<br />Retrofitted elocker, lockrite up front<br />4:88s<br />35&#039;s with 2.5&quot; lift<br />Custom front bumper with Milemarker 8k pound winch

Re: New head unit opinions

i really love my kenwood, but its sooooo complex, i wish i would have gotten something a little easier to setup, etc. my sony was good in my DD, but it was not feature rich.

why do you have to have a double din? i think you are really limiting your options on this by having that requirement.

honestly, the stock speakers, even the premium audio, suck. that being said, if you are hell bent on keeping them, keep the stock amp and just wire it like the diag. says. as for improving sound quality, a little bit, but to really do it, you need to replace the speakers, as they are really the weak link. you can put an amp under the driver's seat, it will fit well, im actually going to move my amps from the backs of the rear seats to under the front seats.

im sure others will chime in, but really, you could get a wonderful system for under 300 bucks, esp if you know where to shop.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Hmm that sounds interesting. If i could get a good sounding system (dont need subs, I listen to country) for 300 I would be all over it. I dont even know where to start on speakers as far as size and brand and whatnot.
    99 Toy 4Runner<br />Retrofitted elocker, lockrite up front<br />4:88s<br />35&#039;s with 2.5&quot; lift<br />Custom front bumper with Milemarker 8k pound winch

well i would go with 5.25 up front, 4 in rear. i went with 6 in the rear doors, but it involved some fab work.

i dont know where to start on speakers either. look around for a used amp. i have one but im not sure i want to sell it just yet.

honestly, it sounds like you dont care about SQ THAT much, you could be fine just doing a HU upgrade,

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I think SQ will improve by replacing just the HU, at least that's how it has been in my experience. I like Alpine decks but some of the JVC ones looks nice too, they have an AUX in plug on the front which looks handy. Crutchfield is a good place to buy from, if you choose to buy from there PM me for a referral code, you may be able to save some $$ and hook me up w/ a referral bonus as well.

i highly recommend crutchfield, its nice when it comes with all the stuff you need to install, like the proper harness (still have to make it up, but thats EASY) also the instructions are great!

I talked to a guy at work today that knows just about everything there is to know about car audio and have decided on what I am going to do.

I am going to get a pretty good head unit, from what I hear Alpine is the best, by a lot. I am just going to get something on ebay that is last years model so the price wont be horrible. I am not going any farther than that for now, I am going to see how I like the sound with a good HU and decide what else I may need. Next will be an amp, probably a 10in sub and MAYBE some speakers, if that is what I think I need.

He said he has plenty of wiring harnesses sitting around in his garage, and can help me whenever I need it, so I dont really need to pay more for crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...&tp=5684&avf=N

That's what I have, sounds like it's out of your price range, but I will say it is awesome x1000.

Ebay is a good friend of car electronics, though I refuse to by from them anymore. If you catch Crutchfield just right, you can get some deals that ebay can barely beat. Plus the support from a bigger company.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)