I just went to the Toyota dealer today to test drive a few vehicles and I was surprised about a few things. I had myself dead-set on buying a newer (05-07) Doublecab Tacoma, but after taking one for a test drive I honestly have to say it didn't knock my socks off like I thought it would.The Tacoma was a little too "trucky" feeling on turns, brakes were a bit sluggish (reminded me of my 4runner brakes before the Tundra mod) engine was peppy but didn't blow my doors off. Overall it is an awesome looking truck but the performance was less than stellar for me.

Next we tried a 2007 limited V8 4runner. Drove very nice, good acceleration, braking etc. Again I wasn't impressed by the somewhat older look to the dash and it really lacked the pizzaz and styling that alot of the newer 08 vehicles have now (the new highlander has the style I'm talking about). It is due for a redesign next year so we'll see what the next incarnation looks like (I'll bet it will look alot more like the new highlander).

I also had the opportunity to try a new 2008 Highlander limited. This was probably the most upscale of everything I drove and I would have been very curious to see what the hybrid version was like to drive, but there were none on the lot yet. Anyway, the styling of the truck is very good (man did it ever need a makeover too!), it drove quite well (feels more like a car than a truck) and the new 3.5L powerplant was a good improvement (although I don't ever think you can have too much power or torque). The big problem is that it doesn't get great gas mileage (17 MPG city, 23 MPG highway, 19 MPG combined is not great IMHO), it's not as big as a 4runner nor can it really tow any decent loads and the price is darn near a new 4runner. Overall it's a nice looking vehicle but for what you get it's still a bit too expensive for my blood.

The last truck we tried was the new 2007 5.7L Tundra Crewmax and all I have to say is WOW!!! That is what a truck should be like IMHO. The truck drove nice and tight (at least for something that large), the engine had more balls than anyone needs to pass comfortably even towing 10,000 lbs behind you (unloaded, hitting the skinny pedal will give you a real kick in the pants). My 3yr old son sat in the back and even with his feet fully out and my wife's seat all the way back, he still couldn't put his feet on the back of the seat! If you haven't test drove one of these, you absolutely shouldn't unless you want to buy one because I guarantee if you do you'll get the buying bug something fierce. The only improvement they could do to this truck is to offer it in a diesel (which I hear will be out on the market in 2010).