Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new ride (sort of)

My new ride (sort of)

Since my 4runner will be undergoing major overhaul this winter, starting after my return from Arizona, I'm arranging to buy this truck from my pops.

Right now, the 4runner is up at home missing a rear bumper and shocks, so I've gotten a "pre-run" of it. Essentially, i get the truck, but haven't paid for it yet....SWEET!!!

So, I'm not sure you can really call it mine, since its "on loan until payment's received" but I figured I'd post because its just too damn much fun!

Specs:

Stock 1987 Single Cab Truck.
    22RTE, 9k on the new long block, rebuilt turbo.
    Cool bed box.
    Plenty o' rust.
    Annoying forward shift t-case.

This sucker goes FAST. But not gracefully. It will get to 60 in a very short amount of time, but the wind noise is horrendous, as are the rattles. I feel like I'm in a jet engine.

Pics:

-I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Re: My new ride (sort of)

nice truck,

whats getting done to the 4runner?
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Thanks. I love it.

The 4runner is getting serious body work done, or a cab swap. Tummy tuck, triple sticks and the second case that is greasing up my living room is going in. Sliders are getting cut off for some better ones, and a wee bit o' tubing is getting added. Rear glass is (hopefully) getting replaced for a camper shell style lift glass. Lastly, the DOM steering is getting finished and installed.

Ike, I used to have a truck like that for a Demo, when I lived in Ft Worth... It was a hot runner!! TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

Nice! I've been scouting around for a turbo 2wd for a DD. I haven't had much luck though
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page

Well, so far, impressions are good.

Suspension is terrible. Rides like a rock. I was expecting that, but not as much as it is.

Turbo is SOOOO sweet. Obviously not a sports car, anyone who's driven a big block muscle car or even one of those WRX deals would not be impressed. But if you've been driving a 22re in a 4runner, it is a big deal.

body is ok. the usual rust, but i'm fine with that. So far, the only annoying things are A) forward shift Tcase shifter always jams my leg (blows) and B) remembering to idle for 30sec to a minute before shut down.

I've driven this truck before, but not much, so before the fun factor always blocked out the bad stuff.

on the whole, I'm quite happy.

On the rock like ride, always wear your seat belt. Convert the engine oil to a full synthetic to avoid damage to the turbo. For the transfer shifter, wear a soccer shin guard. I always hated the transfer hitting my leg too. TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

TJ, is the synthetic a preference, or will it actually help the turbo? I've never gotten synthetic before, because dino is cheaper.

I WISH it was only jamming me in the shin. The STD cab leaves about zero room for seat adjustment, so my legs are bent so the shifter hits my knee. I'll try knee pads, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    TJ, is the synthetic a preference, or will it actually help the turbo? I've never gotten synthetic before, because dino is cheaper.

I WISH it was only jamming me in the shin. The STD cab leaves about zero room for seat adjustment, so my legs are bent so the shifter hits my knee. I'll try knee pads, LOL
    is the shifter on the left instead of the right like a 4runner?
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Yep. Terrible design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast