Thread: I Finally Get my Moab Trip...

I Finally Get my Moab Trip...

That's right, I'll be heading out to Moab (FINALLY) for 3 days with my family at the end of the school year (end of April). I've been compiling a list of things I want/need to do before I head out there, but I'm looking for a little input from those of you that make frequent trips.

What I Need to Fix:
    -Whatever's going on with my steering (haha broad I know)FIXED
    -Slow oil leak (from oil cooler I believe)
    -Even slower power steering leak

What I Need to Install/Buy:
    -Downey Idler Arm Brace DONE
    -WabFab Sliders DONE
    -Some type of roofrack for gear DONE
    -Fullsize Spare (will a 33x10.50 fit in the stock location if I try and bend the guide tabs?)

What Gear I have in the Back:
    -Tow Strap
    -Stuff For Changing out the Spare
    -Oil, Power Steering Fluid
    -First Aid Kit

I know I don't have much right now, but what else do you guys feel are essentials? Also, I haven't decided what trails I'm going to hit up yet, but looking at the list on 4x4now, I think I should be able to do up to a 3.5 rated trail, any recommendations? Everything about my truck can be found in the link in my signature by the way.

-Casey

Mods: Wasn't sure where exactly this belonged, so feel free to move to the appropriate section.

Edit Rocko: Moved
    -Casey-<br />94 4runner 4x4 SOLD<br />99 4runner Limited

Re: I Finally Get my Moab Trip...

Congrads, have fun and take LOTS of pics, I still havent made it out there.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by Four Runner
    **Highlift, tire patchkit, flares (Well, you never know when you'll need to signal someone or start a fire, right?)

**You gonna use some sort of storage boxes for everything to keep it all tidy??

Also, what're you looking for rackwise??

Thule's MOAB pretty much will do it all, and will mount easily to your factory bars.

If you want something beefier, go with the http://www.thuleracks.com/fg_total.asp?foot_sku_amt=1&544_amount=2&690_amoun t=1&car_id=2218&hitch_id=&sport=30&factory_ID=&roo f_id=2216&option_number=2&locks=true&mount_locatio n=ROOF"]Thule Kit[/url].

400XT Feet, w/ #11 FitKit, and LB58 Bars, plus basket's a worthy investment.

http://www.sor.com/sor/partpict.tam?xax=24125&itemnum%2Ectx=&itempict%2Ec tx=%2E%2E%2Fshared%2Fimage%2F256%2Drack%2Dbig%2Ejp g&itemnumdesc%2Ectx=Heavy%20Duty%20Wilderness%20Ro of%20Racks&page%23%2Ectx=256&catpage%2Ectx=cat256% 2Etam%23256%2D83&itemnumtext%2Ectx=Wilderness%20He avy%20Duty%20Roof%20Racks%20are%20manufactured%20f rom%203%2F4%20inch%20heavy%20wall%20square%20steel %20tubing%2E%20Racks%20come%20complete%20with%20al l%20mounting%20hardware%2C%20easy%20to%20follow%20 instructions%20and%20require%20only%20basic%20hand %20tools%20for%20assembly%2E%20Each%20rack%20is%20 custom%20designed%20to%20specifically%20fit%20your %20vehicle%2E%20No%20more%20wondering%20if%20a%20u niversal%20rack%20will%20fit%20your%20vehicle%2E%2 0Black%20powder%20coated%20for%20a%20durable%2C%20 long%20lasting%2C%20and%20attractive%20finish%2E%2 0All%20hardware%20is%20grade%205%20and%20zinc%20pl ated%20for%20extra%20protection%2E%20Racks%20are%2 0available%20with%204%20inch%20or%206%20inch%20hig h%20sides%2E%20Heavy%20duty%20double%20rack%20end% 20cross%20bar%20system%20provides%20support%20for% 20the%20optional%20floor%20kits%2E%20All%20bolt%20 together%20design%20for%20simple%20installation%20 and%20UPSABLE%20oversized%20shipment%2E%20Wilderne ss%20racks%20are%20made%20for%20the%20ultimate%20o ff%20road%20vehicle%21&pagetitle1%2Ectx=Page%20256 &pagetitle2%2Ectx=Roof%20Racks&descriptionpg%2Ectx =Page%20256%20Roof%20Racks]~H/D Wilderness Rack Link.[/url]
    Probably just a basic rack, nothing too fancy. I'll hopefully be getting a hi-lift (thanks for the suggestion) so I'll probably be mounting it on there. Right now I have one of those rubbermaid containers for the back (forgot what they're called they're for car storage). It's only the smallest size though, so I'll have to get something else too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Congrads, have fun and take LOTS of pics, I still havent made it out there.
    Oh trust me...I'll be taking HUNDREDS. Plus I should have internet connection when not on the trail, so I'll be posting up new ones everyday.

Have you decided or planned which trails you're going to do yet? The trails you're planning should dictate your load-out.

For instance - if you're planning on the hard-core trails (Moab Rim, Steel Bender, etc) your load-out should center around tools, spare parts, and recovery gear.

If you're planning on the scenic, longer, but easier trails (White Rim Trail) then you should focus on basic recovery gear, and self-sufficient camping/expedition type gear, fuel & water.
    ~Jamie<br />2000 TRD 4WD PreRunner, 3.4L V-6, Rear Locker,<br />TRD Gen. I Supercharger, URD Fuel Kit, Hayden 679, <br />IPT Valve Body Upgrade, Deckplate Mod, Airaid MIT, <br />URD 2.2&quot; Pulley, TRDOLMAN Magnaflow Exhaust, <br />Inchworm &quot;Lefty&quot; T-Case, FROR Twin Sticks,<br />DR CoilOvers, Camburg UCA&#039;s, 32 x 11.50 STT&#039;s, <br />15x8 AR Teflon Mojave&#039;s, Demello Sliders, Demello Skid-Plate,<br />4xInnovations Front Bumper, and Tailgate / Spare Carrier<br />...and a lot of other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SAR_Squid79
    Have you decided or planned which trails you're going to do yet? The trails you're planning should dictate your load-out.

For instance - if you're planning on the hard-core trails (Moab Rim, Steel Bender, etc) your load-out should center around tools, spare parts, and recovery gear.

If you're planning on the scenic, longer, but easier trails (White Rim Trail) then you should focus on basic recovery gear, and self-sufficient camping/expedition type gear, fuel & water.
    It'll probably be the scenic, longer, and easier trails (keep in mind I'll have my family with me, including a 7 year old brother and a mom that freaks out if I go over a curb). But I'll probably try maybe 1 or 2 of the harder trails just for fun.

if you want some ideas of what White rim has to over, check out my canyonlands thread in the event reports, it does get rough if you go a little fast. and the switchbacks of shafer and mineral bottom can scare you and your mom. but i did both in 2wd low range, so if you were in 4wd, dont worry about anything.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    if you want some ideas of what White rim has to over, check out my canyonlands thread in the event reports, it does get rough if you go a little fast. and the switchbacks of shafer and mineral bottom can scare you and your mom. but i did both in 2wd low range, so if you were in 4wd, dont worry about anything.
    Yeah I saw your thread and I have to say I'm completely jealous. I'm thinking of making a trip similar to yours maybe with some of my buddies next summer, it looks amazing out there.

Quote Originally Posted by traben27
    Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept
    Yeah I saw your thread and I have to say I'm completely jealous. I'm thinking of making a trip similar to yours maybe with some of my buddies next summer, it looks amazing out there.
    the weather will be about the same as it is now, 20-40 at night, 50-80 during the day. so id bring an assortment of clothing, if you plan to camp, get a really good sleeping bag, i cannot stress that enough, i froze my last two nights of canyonlands and im def upgrading a bag.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience