Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CB recommendations

Re: CB recommendations

This information has been very useful. I do have one question however, what is the size of a standard DIN? Is it 7" x2"
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Has anyone tried the Uniden Pro538W? This has the front fire speaker, weather channels and PA switch.

Im curious as to what the dimensions are as I can't seem to find them on the Uniden site
    http://www.uniden.com/products/produ...roduct=PRO538W

Edit - found the dimensions on a retailer site

Dimensions:
    - 8 3/8" (L)
    - 6 7/8" (W)
    - 2" (H)
    - Add approx 1" for knobs on front & 1/2" antenna connection on back
    <br />98 4Runner Limited<br />1999 Suzuki GSXR750 - Sold Apr/08

Quote Originally Posted by 4LowLocked
    This information has been very useful. I do have one question however, what is the size of a standard DIN? Is it 7" x2"
    Not sure, but the dimensions for the Cobra 18 WX ST II are:
    Product Dimensions: 7 x 1.9 x 6.5 inches ; 2.5 pounds

It couldn't fit the DIN slot any better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

"Head units generally come in either single DIN (180 x 50 mm panel) or double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel) size. The depth is not standard."

that would be 7.08661 x 1.9685 inches. for all intents and purposes: 7" x 2"

the really bad thing is... i knew the iso number off the top of my head.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Just some more random tidbits... I've gone through 3 CB units and at least that many antennas, trying to get one that works well for me. I've used the Midland handheld, the Cobra 18 mentioned above, and the Cobra 75 as well. I've used the 4' firestik on the T15 bumper, the el-cheapo mag mount on the roof, and now the definitely not cheap wilson on the roof.

The antenna by FAR has made the only significant difference. (I went through the other CB's thinking the firestik on the bumper was ok...NOT!) Wilson >> El-Cheapo > Firestik. What finally made me shell out the bucks was listening to expat on one of the Death Valley trips. He was the farthest away from me most of the times, and it sounded like he was bellowing in my cab compared to other people who were much closer. He had the same CB as others, but he had the Wilson 5000.

The only problem with the setup is the Wilson 5000 is TALL. Like adding 5' feet to your rig height... You start smacking into a LOT of things, so I carry the el-cheapo antenna for when I'm running in brush; it's a sub-2 footer. Most of my favorite trips are in the desert though, so the tall isn't usually a concern.

The Midland handheld is actually pretty darn cool with a car adapter kit, because you get all of the perks of a fixed unit while being able to take it out of the vehicle for walking about and spotting and such. Without a car kit, however, it's way too gutless to be heard over engine/road noise, and the built in antenna isn't good for much range.

I now use the 75 for the car unit, with the Midland available for walk-about. I've lost comms on enough trips where I want a backup, so that works well for me.

The 18 is a little nicer in my opinion, just because the volume/squelch controls are better. On the other hand the 75 removes the electronics from being right next to your stereo and dash wiring, so you get less noise. Shrug.
    Scott
    2017 blue 4runner ORP / Shrockwork sliders, RCI skids, and a small pile of not-yet-installed bits.
    (Proud recipient of $22,000 in damage within the first five months of ownership. Darnit.)

i like my 75, but it is a bit big and heavy in my hand, and depending on where you mount yours, the speaker can be hard to hear (can be solved with an external speaker, soon to be added to my list)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Having done the Ham thing, and the Bootleg CB thing. By far the best antenna is a 102" stainless whip, which is 1/4 wave for the 27 meg band. It can handle the most wattage. I used to pump 2200 watts on sideband into my 102" whip with no problem.

The problem we face is height, so 102" is not gonna work. The wilson is by far the best short antenna, but is still long. My guess is that the strong signals that are far away, are running linear amps and is not entirely your antennas fault. We also run into cab space so we run smaller radio's. Get a good little Cobra (no mic controls), buy an aftermarket Microphone to get the most of your 4 watts. If you want to get out, buy a linear, but its illegal (who's gonna catch you). Get a wilson, mount it on top (cause any metal around it will direct the signal). Adjust your antenna for a 1:1 SWR (stand wave ratio). DO NOT run duel antenna's unless you can get them 102" apart.

If you have space Get a Superstar, Ranger or better, AM/FM/SSB and modified 23 Meg to 31 meg. Get a Texas Star 1000w linear and bleed over everyones TV in a 5 mile radius.

2 cents

I say go with the classic 25 Cobra with a Echo box

[img width=800 height=598]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/tonytoolpimp/misc%20crap/P1010012.jpg[/img]

Or if you want a ton of power and features run a Galaxy 99 but they are $$

[img width=800 height=598]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/tonytoolpimp/misc%20crap/P1010013.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by 4LowLocked
    Has anyone tried the Uniden Pro538W? This has the front fire speaker, weather channels and PA switch.

I had that unit in my truck. It was a good one but it is bigger than the DIN size. The 90 degree connector I bought for my in dash Cobra is a PL259 L connector.

Number 10 in this image
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Quote Originally Posted by X-Tool Pimp

Or if you want a ton of power and features run a Galaxy 99 but they are $$

[img width=800 height=598]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc245/tonytoolpimp/misc%20crap/P1010013.jpg[/img]

The Galaxy can be modified pretty heavily!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast