Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Rifle?

Hunting Rifle?

I have several, but my "tool" that I prefer to use the most is my HOWA 1500 chambered in 270 WIN. I stiffened the forearm via some 1/2"x1/2"x1/8" aluminum angle bar-stock and epoxy, plus I have floated the barrel and bedded the action. I topped it off with some Leupold Rings and Base, and mounted a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50MM scope. After all that, I camo'd the whole thing.

On box ammo (Winchester Silver Ballistic Tips, 130gr), it will drive TACKS. It averages about 1/2" three-shot groups at 100 yards off of sand bags, and my best grouping w/ box ammo is an amazing 0.10" from the bags. Not bad at all for a sub-$1000 package!

So far, I have taken 9 deer with it, most of them head-shots. My longest head-shot to date is 201 yards, on a doe, and longest kill is 284 yards, broadside. Both of those were from a shooting house on a green field in Mississippi.

Want to show yours off? Tell your story! Don't forget to post some pics!

[bottom is mine. top is a buddies that i camo'd for him]
    -andy

Re: Hunting Rifle?

Why the inner city camo job for deer? TJ
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

inner city? lol... i hunt in the south in the winter. the woods are full of grays and browns at that time of the year and not much green...
    -andy

Bamachem, yes, that's the urban camo design it used to go hunting at night in the cities...LOL TJ and the woods in the south...lol
    2000, Toyota 4Runner,V6 Auto, SR-5 Silver,4X4 Leather,Moon-Roof, Cruise, A/C, Remote Start, Pwr. Windows &amp; Locks, Alumn. Wheels, Tires are Bridgestone, Full Auido up grade with XM, all Kenwood. Color matched Bug deflector, Roof rack, Dust Deflector and Rear wiper.&nbsp; <br /><br /><br />Resistance is Futile; buy a Toyota!

urban camo "design"... hmmm, that's odd since i PAINTED IT MYSELF.
    -andy

What did your local sporting good store call it's design? Did you just pick colors and then paint it? Was it one of those pre laid-ed out patterns? If you just painted it it looks really good. Any SWAT guy would love to have it. TJ

I'll play. Mine is a Weatherby Ultralightweight in a 7mm Rem Mag . Scope is a Swarovski pH 3x12x50. I sent my gun to falcon gun finishing, and got a matte black ceramic finish to it (used to be fluted stainless). Anyway, I took my first bull elk 2 years ago and ever since then, I have been hooked on chasing the wapiti. [img width=800 height=600]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/bigwapitijohnny/4runner/IMG_0016.jpg[/img]
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

i love my good old remington 870 wingmaster
    just because you&#39;ve always done it that way doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s not incredibly stupid.<br /><br />1999 4x4 SR5 4runner<br />http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=26&amp;topic=1 081.0

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jim
    What did your local sporting good store call it's design? Did you just pick colors and then paint it? Was it one of those pre laid-ed out patterns? If you just painted it it looks really good. Any SWAT guy would love to have it. TJ
    I literally just bought flat camo spray paints and used sticks and leaves to do reverse stenciling to do the camo in my garage.

I have a writeup on it that I'll dig up if you're interested...
    -andy

My favorite deer rifle is my Rem 700 BDL in 30.06 topped with a Leupold VX scope.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast