Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone have an iPhone?

Anyone have an iPhone?

I'm thinking about getting one of these things - I need to have easier access to my email and the web, plus I am the last person in America without an iPod (kidding).

I have some specific questions - post up if you have one.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Re: Anyone have an iPhone?

mike

i dont have one, but messed aroudn with it quite a bit at the mac store twice. i could not get used to typing on that thing. but otherwise, its typical apple stuff: great interface, easy to learn, easy to understand, etc, etc. but something you should look into is something related to the data plan...lance was telling me about it and it sounded kinda funky. hopefully he'll chime in

What are your specific questions?

My coworker has had one for a month now, and we've played with it extensively. I'm pretty familiar with it, and I can ask him on the things I don't know.

FWIW, we refer to them as TriCorders, and you just made the nerd list.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

3G support will be offered in 2008 (supposedly).

might want to wait until then cuz the net service is a dog right now.

btw i don't have it cuz i'm happy w/ my blackberry
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

like mentioned about, wait till 2008. Apple is suppose to announce a new 3G iPhone so internet speed will be much faster. They're anticipating longer battery life too. I've been waiting to get one till one with 3G comes out, then I'll bite the bullet and get one.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

From what I'm reading about 3G is that it's a hog on power, so adding the 3G capability and improving battery life may be a tall order. Although there is acompany that managed to come up with a low power chip with all sorts of goodies on it including a 5mp camera.

I look at it like this, many of the places I go where and want to use this don't even have 3G capability yet (like the beach and other areas in PA). When they finally do get around to getting a 3G phone released, it will be big bucks initially - I'll wait until it comes down in price and then pass my 1st Gen phone to my wife. When the 2nd Gen is released, it will be "at least" $599. I won't spend that much on a phone.

My questions:

Re: Email
    Does the email client pull the emails from the email server and remove them, or is like using an iPaq where it leaves the data intact on the server? (also how does it handle large attachments)

How well does the synching with a PC work? Do you end up having to go through all the emails again, or does it know which ones you've read.

Does this mess with "rules" set up in Outlook (I have rules setup to send emails to specific folders, etc)

I've used the EDGE network before (had a card for my laptop) and the performance was less than inspiring. I'm hoping that for mainly retrieving email with a lightweight cleint that it will be acceptable.

Ike - How is the web performance on the Edge network on this thing?
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    plus I am the last person in America without an iPod (kidding).
    No there is two of us
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Tourist

Three.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

four
    Cupholder Mod

Wait at least until after Apple does its announcement in January.

From the people I know the keyboard does have a small learning curve. Predictive text and words come into play more as the phone learns. Google Maps does look and work better on an iphone then computers. Video capture option should be unlocked soon with a software update. I also have worked with a hacked iphone on T-mobile network. The best is to not let it auto update. The last major iphone update didnt go well for ones that were set to do so. Other then that it works as it would on the ATT network.

3G is a hog for not much more of bandwidth. I have a feeling the cell market is about to go nuts. Signs are google's open source OS for Phones and verizon announcements. Also Cable is looking into it. Some now are even providing the backbone in some major cities. Its just another couple of steps to launch cell service.
    -Bryan- 99 Sr5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast