Thread: Kicking out of 4wd

Kicking out of 4wd

i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this question but I just want a second (or third etc) opinion on this. it was real snowy today so on certain parts when i have to accelerate up a hill from a stop i put it in 4wd so my rear end doesnt break loose like it always does, even in rain. sometimes the 4wd lever (2000 taco, "J" type 4wd shifter) would just kick itself back into 2wd when i didnt hit it. is this a result of too much traction and forces and whatnot on the t-case or could this indicate a more serious problem?
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Re: Kicking out of 4wd

Shot in the dark...have you been in 4WD since the 3" body lift install?
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

Quote Originally Posted by Bighead
    Shot in the dark...have you been in 4WD since the 3" body lift install?
    definitely. i've had no issues with this before, however, ive only used 4wd offroad in real low traction. im thinking maybe i had too much htraction and it was starting to bind
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

come on now i know some of you others know what im talking about

I have this issue as well. I figured that it was due to the fact that the shifter boot is not exactly in it's proper location since I added the B/L so that it's actually putting just enough pressure on the shifter to get it to pop out of 4-Hi. If I was smart and not so lazy I would go and lower the boot somehow but since it only happens once and a while and never in 4-Low I've just gotten into a habit of double checking that it's in the proper spot and put up with it.
    '98 4Runner SR5, V-6, 5-speed, 35" Baja Claws, 17x9 Eagle Alloys, E-Locker, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" Susp Lift, 3" Body Lift, 180 amp ALT, Elbow mod, Deckplate Mod, "D" gasket mod, 22" Magnaflow, 231mm Tundra Brakes, 67" TG Sliders, 8500lb Portable Winch Mod, Airlift Bags, Magellan GPS...

Next on the list: Marlin Clutch

My Build Thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html

Replace the detent springs on the shift rails with Marlin's Heavy Duty Springs and your problem will be solved.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
    Replace the detent springs on the shift rails with Marlin's Heavy Duty Springs and your problem will be solved.
    x2

Also I had a problem once, when in low and under torque the shifter hit the body and popped out. This was because of a body lift. I cut a little and no more problem.