Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My topper-camper build

My topper-camper build

For those of you that have a topper, and are looking for a nice camping setup, here's what I had:

I bought 4 1"x10" 6' long boards. 3 down the center with the spacing you see, and one across the back to brace it.
    I topped it off with some 3/8" plywood.

Here it is coming together:

The mattress is from a futon, it fits perfectly on the area, doesn't stand too tall so you are not SUPER cramped back there, and is really east to pull in or out.

Here's the final setup:

I bought 2 storage bins that fit in-between the sections to store all my stuff but still provide easy access to them, also pictured are 2 Reliance 7 gallon water containters:

I had a 1000 Watt inverter and connected it up to a group 29 deep cycle battery to provide 120 VAC power for anything I wish to run:

And here's a picture of me when I was done:

As you can see, there's plenty of room for me. With two people, it's not bad, but climbing out in the morning is a bit more difficult. Also I'm only 5'8", if you were anything over 6' you'd have to sleep diagonally back there. However, this setup is sure nice to have when you go camping and don't have to screw around with setting up tents, esp when it's raining.

I had this setup on my old 1990 toyota right when I started driving, and moved it over to my new truck. I finally ditched it last August for this: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...26&topic=195.0
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: My topper-camper build

Looks great!

It really did a great job as set up for camp. Where it lacked was room to cook and things of that nature if the weather was bad.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

i'm going to build this in my trailer!
    94 4Runner: All the Good Stuff<br /><br />[color=grey] 89 4runner: 3.0, Auto, HID&#39;s<br /><br />[color=blue]81 2wd pickup: 22r, 5sp, Lock Right, custom seats, Hella 500&#39;s on the bumper.

Very nice, if I were to do it again, I'd definitely go all out.

I suggest carpet, run some wires, get some good lighting, and so on.

i was going to suggest you add a switch with some LED lights all around or something.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    i was going to suggest you add a switch with some LED lights all around or something.
    Good call, Lee.

I did the same with my old setup. I went to Radio Shack and got some switches, then went here to pick up some lights. They are plenty for a small area like the back of a canopy.

yeah and they dont eat too much juice either
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Bingo, I had left on one of their 24 LED lights in my truck when I flew home for winter break 2 years ago. Well, I got back and noticed it was on and though, oh crap. To my delight the truck turned right over.

So, yeah, they don't eat much juice at all.

Looks good, Could you put another 1" X 6" on the open end, on hinges, so it could swing down, and give you a little counter space there? You could cook there, but still be up next to the truck, and theoretically, under the shelter of the camper top door when the weather is bad...
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast