Thread: Local landslide into a lake (pictures)

Local landslide into a lake (pictures)

Here is a link to pictures of a local land slide. It's about 650m long (over 1800ft). We had about a foot of snow and just below freezing, next day about 4 inches of rain and 13 degrees Celcius. Good thing nobody was camping there. Some guys from funinbc.com where camping in that general area and where stuck there for 2 days until another member with a Unimog made it in there. Unimog with snowchains, took 8 hours for about 20 miles of snowed it forest service road. It was the same weather system that hit Oregon & Washington.

http://www.canada.com/chilliwacktime...Slide.html?g=1
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Re: Local landslide into a lake (pictures)

Wow, pretty serious stuff, Thanks for the link. Kind of neat, even if it does suck. Any idea what the cleanup efforts are for the debris in the lake? Or do they just chalk it up to 'nature' and leave it?
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

They are worried it'll plug the river and then everything will let go at once. There is a native reserve downstream. I haven't heard if they are actually doing something about it. It is quite a ways out there and the road is taken out by the slide.
    2011 4Runner SR5

Pictures 1-4
    2011 4Runner SR5

Pictures 5-8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Pictures 9-11
    2011 4Runner SR5

The water actually rocked back and forth in the lake, taking trees out along the shoreline all over the place. There were no trees in the water before this event
    2011 4Runner SR5

That is pretty amazing. I have seen shows on the discovery channel about big waves like that caused from landslides.
    My signature