Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Needed - Welded Rear Diff.

Opinions Needed - Welded Rear Diff.

Here is the low down...

1984 4Runner 4WD 22R 5 speed.
    All stock. Will be lifted 3 inches this weekend.
    I am considering welding the rear diff. Its not a DD, it is a trail rig, simply without a tow rig. It does still have to drive to the trails, which could be anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours. Allmost all interstate driving though if its over about 10 minutes away. We don't have snow here....Ever....
    If I weld the rear end (and even if I don't) it will be replaced with an E-locked third sometime next year, but I am talking about the now.

I know there will be some driveability issues, but I'll go ahead and say i can put up with a decent amount of driveability to be locked on the trail...

So what do we think? Gonna have the shop weld it up this weekend...so opinions on this in a HURRY would be nice...

Also with your opinion - if you have any type of experience with welded rears, or even just with locked on pavement - give me a rating of 1-10 how bad of a ride am I in for?
    1 being the way it rides stock open diff'd, and 10 being no end of problems, and always sliding all over the place on the road.

Anything you guys have got will be appreciated.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Opinions Needed - Welded Rear Diff.

Oh yeah, I cross posted this to some other forums as well, so if you see it over there, you can just reply once, you dont have to do it everywhere.
    -Chris
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.

Go for it.

I got a spool from 4wheel parts for 135.
    I know there will be a difference in driving but i not scared.

Weld it up your going to replace it any way. That way you can provide honest opinions about it for the next person.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Thanks Reggie. a couple of my buddies are running spools and they say it isnt that different from welded... How does your handle on pavement?
    -Chris

well since you really dont have to worry much about snow then it wont be a problem since its your daily driver, just do realize its going to be a little harder to turn and will wear down tires faster.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Thanks Blake, Any other ideas and opinions out there?
    -Chris

If you're gonna replace it with an e-locker in the near future, and you don't mind the driveability issues, I say do it. You're gonna love it off road.
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

If it was me, I would say spool it. Just a little more dependable than a weld breaking on the trail. I often thought about doing that to the front instead of the rear, but each has their ups and downs. Check summit racing and jegs for spools also. Maybe a mini spool.
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

Welding costs me like $20 and a spool costs me going on $200 to get it here, PLUS Installation. if Iw as gonna do that, I would just wait for the elocker.
    -Chris

JB Weld..
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast