Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions Needed - Welded Rear Diff.

Re: Opinions Needed - Welded Rear Diff.

If you know the issues, and want to do it, then why not?

rear won't be bad. Front would be bad.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Sometimes I forget to unlock the rear ARB when coming off the trail, I usually don't notice until I hit the first parking lot or hard 90 degree turn and it starts chirping. Other times I'll use the rear locker on the street in the rain intentionally, never had a problem yet.

I'd give it about a 3 on your scale. If you are having a problem with an open diff on the trail I'd say it's worth the minor problems on the street in a trail rig. Only unknown for me would be tire wear.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

I ran that for a while in my last truck. It never wheeled better. For a trail rig, go for it.

I took some extra steps to ensure it was durable but I doubt they were necessary. I heated the carrier up in my bbq. We welded it and let it cool in the bbq. This was to relieve thermal stress. Again, I have no idea if it did a darn thing but that weld job held.

I drove it on snow and it was no big deal. You can turn much more easily in parking lots on wet/snow so the drive-ability is improved there. You know the rear axle will slide if you bust 'em loose but that's true even with an open diff and it's totally predicable. Assuming you are in 4wd on the snowy roads, you'd have to have at least 3 wheels spinning at the point where the rear axle will slide and that's easy to not do.

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

Well, I dont have any snow.

The only other thing I have heard is if that weld breaks it pretty much grenades that whole diff hardcore. So the question becomes how likely is this thing to break, and what can you do to safegarud against it?
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    The only other thing I have heard is if that weld breaks it pretty much grenades that whole diff hardcore. So the question becomes how likely is this thing to break, and what can you do to safegarud against it?
    buy a spool..
    Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
    I like sporking from behind.&nbsp; &nbsp;

shush J.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by callmej75
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    buy a spool..
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

It won't beak. It depends on how the weld penetrated as to whether the whole carrier, which is dirt cheap anyway, will hold up.

Mine was welded with a flux core welder and held up. Anyone with a MIG will have no problem. Just remember the weld the spider gears to one another, not gears to carrier housing, etc...

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

weld it. just make sure its welded properly, and you'll be fine. since its not a DD and you wont see any snow conditions...spending any sort of $ on a locker is just silly.
    sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12