Thread: Anyone here ever replace the backlight on their laptop display?

Anyone here ever replace the backlight on their laptop display?

Well, I will be - mine appears to have taken a dump this AM. Fortunately I've got dual monitors, so no down time for me.

I found decent repair instructions online. It requires some pretty fine soldering which I'm OK with. It's only a $12 part too...

Any tricks from those who have tackled this?
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Re: Anyone here ever replace the backlight on their laptop display?

Huh, never knew it could be fixed. Let us know how it goes...you're due for a write up anyway.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I've had the same problem with my Alienware lap top for a few years. It has not gone out completely yet but it flickers sometimes and I have to move the monitor back and forth to get the screen to show.

Hey, that's cool. I got my bulb from the same place. Just haven't gotten around to putting it in. Let me know how it goes. I'll probably do mine in a few weeks.

Mine ended up being the transformer (easier swap than the bulb). Sorry Steve - no writeup )
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

ive done about 10 of em, maybe 5 full screen replacements and 5 backlight replacements.

usually its the transformer and not the bulb. 4 of the 5 ive replaced were that way.

i know you fixed yours, but heres for future searches:

put blue masking tape sticky side up around the perimeter of your desk to catch screws or other parts that may fall out.
    take lots of pictures, or video if you can, of what you take apart to get there, that way you know how to reassemble.
    search for guides on google on how to disassemble your laptop, they will save you lots of time, headache, and maybe money when you dont break parts.
    get a piece of paper and draw out all the screw locations, and place those screws on the paper in the correct spot when taking them out of the laptop.
    a sturdy credit card (expired ones are the best) works great to pry apart casings with clips with out damaging the plastic casing in the process.

those are just a few. since im no longer in the business, i dont mind sharing those tips with you!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.