Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LC coil question

Re: LC coil question

ya i know i dont need them, but i have cheapo $70 a pair extended length shocks in the rear. figured i buy the lc shocks and maybe get a little better ride and possibly a little more droop. the shocks also havta be unbolted at the bottom to get the new springs in & out easily, so im half way there. i also dont have any money to wheel these days so im not super ambitious to do anything to my truck recently.......dam tool addictions
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

it would be best to install first, then see what happens with the lift height.

just my .02.

but to be honest, 9 wraps? I havent even seen a 9 wrap LC coil, just 7 and 8 wraps (8 wraps pump 4 to 4.5 inchs of the rear) while a 7 wrap is 3.25 to 3.75 of lift in the rear.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    im gonna put them in soon. but i figured while i save for shocks why not ask for some input since the springs have diff colors than what we usually see.
    IIRC, you currently are not running top out spacers in the front, you may want to get a set of those too or the rake may be a little on the ridiculous side.
    Joe<br /><br />1997 4runner limited<br />Sonoran Steel #1 lift, 1&quot; 4crawler bl, LC wheels, 295 Terra Grapplers, deckplate, satoshi grille, extended rear diff breather...

The LC coils I had were like 9.5 wraps. . it was wayyyy too much lift. I got 891s now.
    99 Toy 4Runner<br />Retrofitted elocker, lockrite up front<br />4:88s<br />35&#039;s with 2.5&quot; lift<br />Custom front bumper with Milemarker 8k pound winch

id rather have rake than use a topout that puts pressure on the balljoints.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

is a 3/8" top out spacer really going to put that much strain on the ball joints? I run them and have no problems. With the top outs i still have a fair amount of rake, but i could just imagine how ridiculous the rake would look without them.
    Joe<br /><br />1997 4runner limited<br />Sonoran Steel #1 lift, 1&quot; 4crawler bl, LC wheels, 295 Terra Grapplers, deckplate, satoshi grille, extended rear diff breather...

good eyes people, i didnt even notice mine were 9 wrap. steve is selling 8 wraps. seems like im going to get way to much lift outa these. i would use 3/8 top plates. i have 3/4 top plates from my toytec lift, but thats to high. it really isnt putting much stress on ball joints though, i mean out of all the stuff we put on our trucks and how we treat them on the trail a little plastic spacer less than half inch thick means nothing. who knows maybe these coils with a top plate up front wouldnt be to high, im sure it would look stupid with my tire size though. (265/75/16)
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by rocktown
    is a 3/8" top out spacer really going to put that much strain on the ball joints? I run them and have no problems. With the top outs i still have a fair amount of rake, but i could just imagine how ridiculous the rake would look without them.
    it could

depends on what kind of lift is already in there and how much. spacers, coils? 2", 2.5", 3"??

if you have a 2.5" lift, a half inch topout might indeed put too much stress on the ball joints. i had a 2.5" spacer lift in the front of my 4runner and went to add a 1" spacer and that was waaaay too much stress. a half inch may have worked better but its doubtful.

there really isnt much room with IFS and the more crap you jam in there, the more stress youre adding to other components besides cv's.

id rather have rake than wheel and break constantly.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    good eyes people, i didnt even notice mine were 9 wrap. steve is selling 8 wraps. seems like im going to get way to much lift outa these. i would use 3/8 top plates. i have 3/4 top plates from my toytec lift, but thats to high. it really isnt putting much stress on ball joints though, i mean out of all the stuff we put on our trucks and how we treat them on the trail a little plastic spacer less than half inch thick means nothing. who knows maybe these coils with a top plate up front wouldnt be to high, im sure it would look stupid with my tire size though. (265/75/16)
    i wouldnt say it would be "nothing" when you go to install it, when youre fighting that lower arm down to get the topout in, you might rethink the importance of stressing out the lower bj's.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Quote Originally Posted by rocktown
    it could

depends on what kind of lift is already in there and how much. spacers, coils? 2", 2.5", 3"??

if you have a 2.5" lift, a half inch topout might indeed put too much stress on the ball joints. i had a 2.5" spacer lift in the front of my 4runner and went to add a 1" spacer and that was waaaay too much stress. a half inch may have worked better but its doubtful.

there really isnt much room with IFS and the more crap you jam in there, the more stress youre adding to other components besides cv's.

id rather have rake than wheel and break constantly.
    Well, you may not have known that brian and i have wheeled together and i know he is running the tundra springs and trekmasters up front, thats why i suggested the 3/8" top out. I would never suggested cranking up the suspension to exceed the 2.5" max. But on tundra springs, the topout is a nice easy way to get a little extra lift.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast