Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Travel for 4Runner gen3+ w/o cutting bed

Long Travel for 4Runner gen3+ w/o cutting bed

Finally the racing season has taken a break so I could get the rear suspension finished...... errr (still need a coil that will take the travel and provide lift) I'm left with 13" of strapped travel and can still sleep in the back.

> Twisted Customs: (see Dec Dirtsport MIM) made the upper/lower control arms and panhard bar. They utilized heims with their special spacers on axle end, and bushings on the frame end to free up all the bind. I know there are beefier looking arms out there but these are the same as their competition rigs.
    > Sway-A-Away: Supplied 2x10 emulsion shocks with high capacity remote reservoirs to keep the smaller shock cool. Brian Bell, of SAW valved them to perfection.
    > Light Racing's: 6" Jounce controls the uptravel.
    > Spidertrax: provided the wheel spacers to keep things from rubbing and allows the rear to track inline with the wider front.

The frame was notched slightly to reset the Light Racing mount deeper keeping things away from the tires. If this is too much work or you don't want to cut into your frame then get the 3" jounce and bucket mounting kit. I wanted more controlled up travel (6" jounce) and easier acceptability to make adjustments. This placement measures out perfect for up-travel contact. Also notice how the cross brace thing (technical term) was sleeved to tie the two hoops together for additional strength.

Ignore the length of the upper arm bolts. I wanted the strength of longer shanks but was too lazy to crawl back up there with the sawzaw. Its embarrassing seeing all those threads so I'll get back under there. The Twisted Custom panhard bar is adjustable using treaded heims at both ends. [img width=533 height=800]http://a249.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/97/l_40b83787aae8dbf1ba6ceef7a55085f0.jpg[/img]

Twisted Custom machined misalignment spacers to fit the factory mounts. All I had to do was drill out the holes for larger bolts. Removing the shock mount bolt is a tight fit past the lower arm mount, but it does come out. Could have used a little more room (up or down) here but that is where the tape measure said to put the shock mounts.

A couple shots of Twisted Customs work strapping the bushing housing for additional strength and fitting the factory mount perfect.

Other options/improvements could be made to get more articulation and/or travel out of the rearend. I didn't want to reinvent the Toyota protractor or cut up my cargo area, at the end of the day its just a 4Runner and a daily driver.

God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

Re: Long Travel Suspension for 4Runner gen3+

NICE build. where are the overall pics?
    <br /><br />
    883/LC with OME/PC shocks ∙ 2&quot; body lift ∙ ARB bull bar
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

That is sweet.

I too want more pics.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

x3 on the pics...great job!

Regards,

BWJ
    &quot;In premodern times, the courage of a leader often had to be physical. In the last 500 years it is more often moral. Moral courage is the ability to do what&#39;s right even when it is deeply unpopular, even dangerous. Courage is only found where there is the genuine possibility of loss -- loss of friends, reputation, status, power, possessions or, at the extremes, freedom or life.&quot;<br /><br />~ Mark Joseph

Very sweet suspension setup! I suspect I will want to do almost the same exact thing when I go LT.

Kudos for not having to tear into the bed, that is by far the best part How far does the axle pull to the side(s) at full stuff or droop?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Very sweet suspension setup! I suspect I will want to do almost the same exact thing when I go LT.

Kudos for not having to tear into the bed, that is by far the best part How far does the axle pull to the side(s) at full stuff or droop?
    Agreed. I too like how you kept it out of the bed and wonder about axle movement at full stuff. This setup seems like the best a person could do before moving the gas tank to go with a tri-4 link, etc.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Thank you for the complements. My hope is that my build/experience(s) will 1)spark even more interest in building 4Runners for the dirt/rocks instead of soccer practice & Albertsons, 2)save someone some headache from buying parts that don't fit/work or are more than they need ie over marketed 3)catch something that I missed or didn't think of.

OK OK you asked for them, here are some teasers of future write-ups. Trust me its really a sleeper. Not much for parking lot bling.

Here is a action pic of the Tundra brake conversion (saved me from hitting a cow in mexico). A no brainer install. Also notice the "chicken wire" meshing, it runs from the hood to the back of the skid. Spend the $10 at the hardware store for the meshing and zip ties, it will save your radiator and your feet from a long walk.

Trail-Gear rocker guards. If you don't have rocker guards you either can't close your door or your new to the offroad game. Either is ok! Call Matt at TG, great guys!

How did that get in there? The TRD Stupidcharger is really a great investment. Yes investment, I actually get better fuel mileage after install. This thing really wakes up that 3.4L. Also notice the plug wires are flipped behind the cover to tidy things up a bit.

God speed,<br />Steve Hanson<br />Racers For Christ<br />Rockcrawlers For Christ<br />www.teamrfc.org<br />--------------------<br />special thanks: bfgoodrich|trail gear|cbi fabrication|total chaos|arb|sway-a-way|aem electronics|lucas oil|trd|baja racks|bassani exhaust|spidertrax

I'll get some pictures of it full stuffed and take some measurements. Camera filled up with silt and died so give me a little time.

Will Twisted Customs be selling those reap hoops? When I get another 3rd gen, that is exactly the setup I would love to run in the rear!

Re: Long Travel for 4Runner gen3+ w/o cutting bed

Here is a pic I took the other night with the tire almost all the way stuffed. As you can see there is still an inch before any tire rub on the shock. (this is the stuffed tire).

I increased my tire size from a 265 to a 285x70x17 (33") BFG KM2's so I had to do some cutting. The added tire size was going to work havic on the fenders so out came the cutoff wheel.:saw: I was able to trim a good 1" out of the fenders without getting into the door.
    BEFORE:

AFTER:

I covered the sharp edges and hacks with a small piece of trim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast