Thread: Fuster avoids consequences of procrastination....

Fuster avoids consequences of procrastination....

...A few weeks ago I was detained for speeding. As per standard proceedure, the officer asked for my liscense, registration and proof of insurance. I obliged and was surprised to find that my insurance card was expired though my coverage was current. My registration was suspended by the MVD of Arizona (long story). The topper was that I had a warrant for my arrest from a parking ticket I neglected to satisfy. Fortunately, the UHP officer took pity and didn't impound my truck and throw me in the big house. He let me go with three violations and a sore ego.

Skip to the end...

As is typical I procrastinated the reconciliation of my infractions until I gained another warrant for my arrest....hey man, I'm busy. When I finally took time out to settle things, my total fines were over $500.00. D'oh! So I called the courthouse and spoke with a civil servant who gave me hope that if I could prove my case, I would only have to pay the original $82.00. I gathered my documents and faxed them with this letter:

Your Honor,

I am Kevin xxxxx, case # 075xxxxxx. I wish to address the charge relative to driving with a suspended registration. In deference to your schedule, I'll as be brief as possible.

As the following document demonstrates, I followed the procedures for registration required by law to the best of my ability within reason. Though I had my insurance documents with me when I registered my truck, the representative at the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division declined to even look at them and validated my vehicle anyway. A few weeks later, I received a letter asking for my insurance documents. I followed the steps detailed in the letter and sent them in. A few weeks later again, I received a letter stating that my response was inadequate and that my registration was in jeopardy. I determined that I needed to physically appear at the Motor Vehicle Division to resolve the matter. Though I waited in line for over an hour, my effort was rejected and I was counciled to send the required documents by mail. I did exactly as was described. After some time passed, and believing we had come to a conclusion, I received another letter stating that my registration was suspended for lack of proof of insurance. I believed that I had done my due diligence. I maintained insurance coverage and had paid the fees for registration. I could not see the point in further action with an impossibly robotic bureaucracy more fascinated with the convoluted mechanics of internal process than serving the purpose of it's charge. My family and I were just a couple of months away from graduating from P.A. school and would be relocating back in Utah anyway.

Given my brief experience with the great and turbulent State of Arizona, I look forward to renewed residency in Utah; I'd just rather not do it from the doubtlessly relaxing, but certainly restrictive, Butch Cassidy suite. Though I have trespassed the law I am not by nature a criminal, nor am I characteristically negligent (opinions vary). I hope that Your Honor will see a way to be merciful to me relative to the lack of insurance charge and the suspended registration charge.

I appreciate your time and apologize for my absence. Given my meteoric approach toward late middle-age I am more presentable in prose than in person.

Respectfully, Blahblahblah

It worked and I only had to pay the speeding ticket.

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Re: Fuster avoids consequences of procrastination....

yeah i have 480 dollars worth of unpaid speeding tickets, however i dont have to pay them, camera tickets that did not get served to me but sent to my home address in SC before I knew about them.

they can kiss me hiney

good to know you got it worked all out. i hate tickets and bs.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Nice work!! I'd imagine the Judge has a copy of your letter framed on his wall for posterity.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

He probably just had no idea what the hell you were saying (think Charlie Brown's school teacher voice) and just wanted you and your words to leave!

so next time i get my ass into a boat load of trouble, im having you write my excuse for being a moron!

theres some $$ in it for you, and a pack of your favorite beverage
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    so next time i get my ass into a boat load of trouble, im having you write my excuse for being a moron!

theres some $$ in it for you, and a pack of your favorite beverage
    Hehe. Twice I got my expelled roommate reinstated back into a university by writing letters to his councilor. It was a classic Cyrano de Bergerac moment. Frankly, I was thunderstruck when they accepted him back a second time...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Hey way to go bud! I'll have to keep tha in mind. I have found myself in this situation more than I like to admit (back in my young and dumb street racer days) I have actually even been pulled over and arrested. lol. Little buggers impounded my truck.... Anyway, congratulations Fuster!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Hey way to go bud! I'll have to keep tha in mind. I have found myself in this situation more than I like to admit (back in my young and dumb street racer days) I have actually even been pulled over and arrested. lol. Little buggers impounded my truck.... Anyway, congratulations Fuster!

Thanks Four Runner!

Rocko, one day I'll have to tell the tale, thick with irony, of how I was arrested once and spent some time in jail....

It's late and I'm tired now, but the details are a riot.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    Thanks Four Runner!

Rocko, one day I'll have to tell the tale, thick with irony, of how I was arrested once and spent some time in jail....

It's late and I'm tired now, but the details are a riot.
    I can't wait for this story.
    My signature

Nice job Fuster! I had a similar situation when I got my one and only ticket...

When I was 18 I decided to see how fast I could get my 4wd diesel Suburban up to one morning out in the boonies. Kept it to the floor for about 2 min and ran up on a state trooper coming the opposite direction who was tailgating a dumptruck... a whopping 77 MPH . It was in a 55 MPH though and the trooper wrote me for reckless driving. I went to visit the clerk (it was a little bitty town) and she told me to go ahead and go to driving school and write a letter to the judge (since I would not be able to attend court since I would be in class about 3 hours away that day). I had my dad write a letter too. It worked as he dismissed the charges and I have made it to 24 with a clean driving record .
    1987 Toyota 4Runner<br />Specs Here: 4Runner Page