Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 01 taco 2.4 auto. Amsoil conv question

01 taco 2.4 auto. Amsoil conv question

My Taco has about 140K. Well maintained. Oil changes every 3K. No leaks.

I have a couple questions. I searched and am sure the answers are there somewhere but ....

I want to change to synthetic. Once, a long, long time ago when I did it to a higher mileage car (70K +) it developed leaks all over the place. At the time I was told there was a window for converting that I had passed.

Has anyone else done this on a higher mileage vehicle without problems?

What filter should I use? I would like to get a bigger one.

This is among my quest for better gas mileage.

I have a full weekend of maintenance planned since I have to do the half shaft on the drivers side (torn boot), fuel filter from NAPA (you know, replacing the lifetime one that is in there), as well and am considering flushing the trans and converting it to Amsoil as well.
    Baloo<br />---------<br />&quot;I believe everyody in the world should have guns. Citizens should have bazookas and rocket launchers too. I believe that all citizens should have their weapons of choice. However, I also believe that only I should have the ammunition. Because frankly, I wouldn&#039;t trust the rest of the goobers with anything more dangerous than string.&quot; - Scott Adams

Re: 01 taco 2.4 auto. Amsoil conv question

Quote Originally Posted by baloo
    My Taco has about 140K. Well maintained. Oil changes every 3K. No leaks.

I have a couple questions. I searched and am sure the answers are there somewhere but ....

I want to change to synthetic. Once, a long, long time ago when I did it to a higher mileage car (70K +) it developed leaks all over the place. At the time I was told there was a window for converting that I had passed.

Has anyone else done this on a higher mileage vehicle without problems?

What filter should I use? I would like to get a bigger one.

This is among my quest for better gas mileage.

I have a full weekend of maintenance planned since I have to do the half shaft on the drivers side (torn boot), fuel filter from NAPA (you know, replacing the lifetime one that is in there), as well and am considering flushing the trans and converting it to Amsoil as well.
    none of these things will increase your mpg significantly, so dont get your hopes up too high.

go to the amsoil site and you'll see a search engine. plug your vehicle's stats in and youll get an output of everything imagineable that they sell that fits your truck.

i have not read anyone having problems swithcing to synthetic *ever* on this or other forums. if it does leak, just switch back or fix the seals (if cheap)

fyi, its a 2.7

i ran synthetic on my 01 4r, 3.4, w/no issues.

currently also running synthetic in my 00 camry 2.4
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Not sure what "fyi, it's a 2.7" meant?

I am not expecting big gains, but synthetics are definately a step in the right direction as well as being easier on the vehicle and GREAT in colder wheather (trans).

My issue was personal experience from WAAAAYYY back as well as there are a number of horror stories about older vehicles developing leaks, albeit not yota specific, which is why I asked here. Amsoil is my choice and I will probably just do a dealership through my shop to get a break on it. Man it has gotten expensive.
    Baloo<br />---------<br />&quot;I believe everyody in the world should have guns. Citizens should have bazookas and rocket launchers too. I believe that all citizens should have their weapons of choice. However, I also believe that only I should have the ammunition. Because frankly, I wouldn&#039;t trust the rest of the goobers with anything more dangerous than string.&quot; - Scott Adams

fyi= for your information, its a 2.7 liter I4, or you could have meant a 3.4L V6
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I doubt the vehicle you converted was a Toyota that leaked at 70k. I pulled the most of the seals on my motor with 140k+ and they were no where near leaking any oil. I highly doubt you'd run into any issues with switching over to synthetic and if you go with a 5W-30 or 0W-30 you will get better gas mileage than with dino oil (how much will depend on alot of conditions but even 1 MPG is worth the switch).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    fyi= for your information, its a 2.7 liter I4, or you could have meant a 3.4L V6
    I knew what both "meant" just did not see how they appliede. Went back and saw the typo in the title. It is a 3.4L.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    I highly doubt you'd run into any issues with switching over to synthetic and if you go with a 5W-30 or 0W-30 you will get better gas mileage than with dino oil (how much will depend on alot of conditions but even 1 MPG is worth the switch).
    At this point, you're right. I would pratically kill for 1 mpg.

yea, if your engine is in decent condition, adding synthetic will only increase the life of the engine by decreasing friction(that also robs power, possibly netting you 1 mpg increase)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by baloo
    I would pratically kill for 1 mpg.
    No need to go that far , just adding synthetic should get you there. I did see a fairly decent improvement after switching on my 3.4L, somewhere around 1 MPG. I'd also highly suggest changing the fluid in your diffs to synthetic (Amsoil or Mobil 1) and use Seafoam in the gastank (3 cans in 1/3 of a tank) if you are on a quest for better fuel economy. Also change your plugs and clean your MAF sensor, then reset the ECU (pull neg batt terminal).
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast