Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightforce HID conversion (w/ Pics)

Lightforce HID conversion (w/ Pics)

I really like my Lightforce 170's and may have gotten myself addicted to having some good light. They are great for night runs out at Oceano Dunes. I may be adding more lights and that got me thinking about my electrical system and if it could handle 400watts plus. I eventually plan on a dual battery setup, but with a 3 yr. old son and a daughter due any day now, I don't think I have the time or energy to figure out how to slam another battery into the crammed 3.0 engine bay anytime soon. Right now with 2 lights, I am at 200watts, while with 4 35watt HID's I would be at 140watts. BruceTS's recent thread about his HID upgrade into his Hella 4000's got me thinking and I started researching HID upgrades for the Lightforce's.

There are a couple kits out there for upgrading the lightforce lights to HID, but they are somewhat pricey although still really cheap compared to buying Lightforce HID lights. There are also a few fitment kits, that allow you to fit a H3 HID kit into the lights, as there are no HID kits that have bulbs that are a direct plug-n-play for the Lightforce family of lights. Some work is needed to make a H3 bulb fit into the base, not to mention drilling the hole in the back for the wires.

At this point I have ordered a HID kit off ebay, and should have it soon and can get started on this project. I ordered a H3 5000k kit from ebay seller: Autoluminate which I believe is the same seller Bruce bought from.

I started this thread before I actually started the conversion, so that I could receive feedback and tips, and to also condense all the info that I have found to make it easier for those who may want to try this also. The HID kit should be getting here any day and I hope to start on it right away, so stay tuned.

Here is what I have so far:

HID upgrade kits (these have everything you need to do the conversion):

Off-roadlights.com kit $490

Extremelimitsoffroad kit $570.25 AU

HID fitment kits (these have pieces that allow you to fit a certain size HID kit, these do not include the actual HID kit):

Oztion seller This Oztion (Aussie for auction, similar to ebay) sells modified 170 heatsinks that allow you to use a H3 HID kit. $100 AU

Another fitment kit This is another fitment kit that replaces your heatsink. $15 a pair AU Little simple things and lots of great info on the site. He also shows you the difference between the earlier models and the later models. The later models with the big aluminum heatsink can be modified to fit a H3Bulb, you can send them to him and have them done for $20 AU. I emailed him to find out how much it would be for him to send me a pair of his pieces to the states, but haven't heard from him.

Another fitment kit Looks to be that you can buy modified heatsinks that will allow H3 bulbs

Places on the internet that have useful info concerning the swap:

BruceTS's conversion of his Hellas-Not the same light but good info on the rest of the install.

Offroaders.com install- A step by step install into Lightforce 170's useing the off-roadlights.com conversion kit. Good pics and info, and should help to make sure mine is looking the way it should be.

Lightforce 140 HID conversion -Thread at candlepowerforums.com- User bushy555 is the maker of the above fitment pieces

Lightforce SL240 HID conversion- Thread at candlepowerforums.com- good info, even though the conversion was done on a hand held 240spotlight. Also, some amazing pics.

Detailed Instructions - Detailed instructions on how to do the conversion if you were to buy a already modified heatsink.

Photos - Photos from the above conversion

Contacts - Contact for the above conversion pieces

Instructions for older style -Bushy555 instructions on how to use his fitment piece on the older style heatsinks. He also has a downloadable set if instructions that shows both the new and old heatsinks together and the instructions.

That is what I have at the moment. You will notice that many of these are for the 240's but they all share the same base (except for the XGT's which is a completely different animal). I welcome any and all comments, tips, etc... and if you have found any other info out there, please share. I don't have anything to show right now as I have not received my HIDs at this time, but once I do, I plan on starting right away and takeing many pics.
    Happy reading!

Edit: Pics start on the 2nd page.

Edit: Writeup is up on the second page.

My signature

Re: Lightforce HID conversion

whoa HIDs in probablly the best housing available too.

This should be awesome setup for you Chris!

I plan to get some IPFs, the reason being they are good fit and i cant afford the 170s right now.

ill stay tuned
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I've got the 240's from offroadlights.com with the HID kit. All I can say is that they are unreal bright. I love 'em and would definitely suggest anyone getting them if it's in their budget.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I just heard back from this guy. He is all out of adapters but should hopefully have them in a few weeks. He quoted me for three adapters shipped to me as about $45.00 US. He let me know that if I had the newer model (somewhere after 2003) with the aluminum heatsink, that all I had to do was drill and tap for the bulb to fit, and maybe clearance the hole a little with a dremel. He even sent me a couple pics. He is going to let me know when he gets his pieces in. I really like to know that there is a backup plan just in case I FUBAR my heatsinks. I'm still waiting on my HID's so no progress yet.

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    HID fitment kits (these have pieces that allow you to fit a certain size HID kit, these do not include the actual HID kit):

Another fitment kit This is another fitment kit that replaces your heatsink. $15 a pair AU Little simple things and lots of great info on the site. He also shows you the difference between the earlier models and the later models. The later models with the big aluminum heatsink can be modified to fit a H3Bulb, you can send them to him and have them done for $20 AU. I emailed him to find out how much it would be for him to send me a pair of his pieces to the states, but haven't heard from him.
    Oly, that is good to know. I would love it if you could post some night pics. How do you change the bulbs with that kit, as it states that you cannot field change the bulbs?
    My signature

Just and update: Today I am trying to contact the seller to find out why my lights aren't here. On the 27th, I received the tracking number, but as of today, it still is showing that they haven't been shipped only that the label is made. Hopefully I'll find something out soon and can get this project going.
    My signature

Same thing happend with me, got the tracking number, but it took a bit longer than expected before it arrived, Ironically it showed up the same day I set him an e-mail, but the online tracking system still didn't show a change......
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

That's good to know, it would be great if it showed up today.
    My signature

I finally got them in today. Mine are from a company called Xentec, not sure where they are made yet, but I did find them on amazon.com. Same as my kit

No pics yet of my kit but it is exactly what amazon has in the link above. If I don't get these done during the week I should get them done this weekend. Stay tuned:
    My signature

prepare to enjoy them!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Hey All,

Though I may not own a truck, I have an 05 Matrix XR AWD. I just ordered the same set as named above 9006 6000k from Autoluminate on Ebay for $80. I have read all over mixed reviews everywhere, but it seems for most people they work pretty well with a few defects here and there for people. But I put most of that on their installs. It seems some people add a relay to draw power for startup from the battery, and others simply add a 5amp or 10amp higher fuse to the board.

Anyone here try one of these? Also looking for this guys feedback once he gets them installed. Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast