Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front differential axle seal leaking

Front differential axle seal leaking

I might have damaged the front differential axle seal last time I replaced the CV axle on my 4runner front driver's side. I smelled diff fluid and it seems like its leaking from where the CV axle connects at the front diff. I think I damaged the seal when I was prying the old CV axle out of the diff.

Is it tough to replace the seal? Any suggestions?

edit: changed the title/subject to make better sense of this issue. Thanks Lee.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Re: Inner CV axle seal leaking

you mean the AXLE seal or the CV axle ring??

the seal isnt that hard, putting it in properly is the hardest part (read: straight and in the right place). get 2 just in case you screw up the 1st one.

if you dont trust yourself id get it done professionally, you dont want to deal with a constantly leaking seal.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Re: Inner CV axle seal leaking

I believe its the axle seal, the seal that stays in the diff when you remove the CV axle. Not part of the CV axle.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Re: Front differential axle seal leaking

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=1262.0

i dealt with it in the past. just make sure

1) you have a spare on hand in case
    2) you put it in facing the right way
    3) you put it in a close to straight as possible

we tapped it in with a large socket.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Lee,
    Thanks for the pointers, I read what you went through. I had one question, did you drain the front diff before you removed the old axle seal, or can it be done without draining? Just wanted to make sure the oil doesn't come gushing out as I pull the seal. I've ordered two seals and I'll give it a try once they arrive.

FYI:

An empty Campbell's soup can if the PERFECT tool for tapping in a diff oil seal!

The job is not too difficult (No more difficult that replacing a CV) - you just pry the old ones out (you obviously don't have to worry about tearing the old ones up), and the best tool for tapping the new ones evenly into place is an empty campbell's soup can. It's the perfect size for the diff seals. As stated above - if you don't get them in EXACTLY the right place, they'll still leak, so be careful.
    ~Jamie<br />2000 TRD 4WD PreRunner, 3.4L V-6, Rear Locker,<br />TRD Gen. I Supercharger, URD Fuel Kit, Hayden 679, <br />IPT Valve Body Upgrade, Deckplate Mod, Airaid MIT, <br />URD 2.2&quot; Pulley, TRDOLMAN Magnaflow Exhaust, <br />Inchworm &quot;Lefty&quot; T-Case, FROR Twin Sticks,<br />DR CoilOvers, Camburg UCA&#039;s, 32 x 11.50 STT&#039;s, <br />15x8 AR Teflon Mojave&#039;s, Demello Sliders, Demello Skid-Plate,<br />4xInnovations Front Bumper, and Tailgate / Spare Carrier<br />...and a lot of other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cplvc
    Lee,
    Thanks for the pointers, I read what you went through. I had one question, did you drain the front diff before you removed the old axle seal, or can it be done without draining? Just wanted to make sure the oil doesn't come gushing out as I pull the seal. I've ordered two seals and I'll give it a try once they arrive.

it wont come GUSHING out but it will leak out some. make sure you check the level after youre done.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR_Squid79
    FYI:

An empty Campbell's soup can if the PERFECT tool for tapping in a diff oil seal!

The job is not too difficult (No more difficult that replacing a CV) - you just pry the old ones out (you obviously don't have to worry about tearing the old ones up), and the best tool for tapping the new ones evenly into place is an empty campbell's soup can. It's the perfect size for the diff seals. As stated above - if you don't get them in EXACTLY the right place, they'll still leak, so be careful.
    wow thats a great idea! i never thought of it.... damn.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Thank you Jamie and Lee!
    Yeah I plan on refilling the diff to the proper level but wanted to make sure I'm not to drain it prior to removing the seal.

I'll keep an empty campbell's soup can handy . However, I was planning on getting this tool to install the seal.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35555
    Anyone tried using this?

if you empty the diff you obviously will get less leakage but i didnt, and it leaked a fair amount, but i only had to top it off, not fill.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by SAR_Squid79
    FYI:

Genius! Pure Genius Jamie!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast