Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front differential axle seal leaking

Re: Front differential axle seal leaking

Update, got it done. No problems...just had a tough time prying the CV axle out. Used Jamie's cambell's soup can method but had to use another tool when the can started to buckle. This was on the driver side incase someone needs the part number.

-Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

nice job man
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by cplvc
    Update, got it done. No problems...just had a tough time prying the CV axle out. Used Jamie's cambell's soup can method but had to use another tool when the can started to buckle.
    Jesus! What were you hitting it with? BTW - when i did this, the can was open and empty, and I put the open side toward the seal, and tapped it in with a rubber mallet. I didn't have a problem, and the can didn't buckle - in fact, I think I still have the can I used in a box of parts around here somewhere...
    ~Jamie<br />2000 TRD 4WD PreRunner, 3.4L V-6, Rear Locker,<br />TRD Gen. I Supercharger, URD Fuel Kit, Hayden 679, <br />IPT Valve Body Upgrade, Deckplate Mod, Airaid MIT, <br />URD 2.2&quot; Pulley, TRDOLMAN Magnaflow Exhaust, <br />Inchworm &quot;Lefty&quot; T-Case, FROR Twin Sticks,<br />DR CoilOvers, Camburg UCA&#039;s, 32 x 11.50 STT&#039;s, <br />15x8 AR Teflon Mojave&#039;s, Demello Sliders, Demello Skid-Plate,<br />4xInnovations Front Bumper, and Tailgate / Spare Carrier<br />...and a lot of other stuff

oh i missed that the can buckled!

hahah, seriously whatd you use, a sledgehammer?
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Lol, I knew I'd get some laughs outta that can. I used a rubber mallet, tapping gently on the bottom of the can (top facing the seal). A few taps may have gotten outta hand . The can started to buckle when the seal was exposed about a 1/16" from the diff, when I tried hitting a little harder to get it to sit flush. I had another tool laying around that I used to seat it flushed. Thanks to you guys, I didn't have to buy any special tools . I've driven on it over 500 miles and so far it hasn't leaked.

Lee, Jamie..I sincerely appreciate all your help.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Ha ha! A Campbell soup can... Mmm mmm, Good!!!

cplvc, maybe you should try it with an upopened can next time! More sturdy. Oh, wait, nevermind. I've heard chicken broth and noodles aren't recommended in the diff.
    Land Cruiser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12