Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen 5spd tranny with power in nuetral?

3rd gen 5spd tranny with power in nuetral?

hey guys...

1998 4runner, 3rz, 5spd, 200k miles, newly sas'ed.

problem is that after the sas, with the rear end in the air and the tranny in neutral, the rear wheels still have power to them. if you grab hold real good on the tires, they stop. i can hear a bit of a chirping sound coming somewhere from the tranny area with the ebrake on and the truck in neutral. i have never heard of or seen this.

idea's?

i did have the clutch pedal push rod adjusted a while back from toyota when (what turned out to be a bad friction disc) the clutch wouldn't engage correctly. could this cause the tranny to still put power to the rear wheels, even if it is in nuetral?

Re: 3rd gen 5spd tranny with power in nuetral?

It's pretty normal. The oil is still cold and the clutch plates are still meshing which makes the wheels go round and round. It should stop once the rig is warmed up.
    Land Cruiser

this is normal. any manual trans vehicle will do this with the drive wheels in the air, trans in neutral. with clutch pedal released the engine is still turning the transmission. even though it isnt in gear the friction inside is just enough to get the wheels to spin.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

the chirping sound you hear in neutral ebrake on is from a brearing in the trans. my trans has been doing this same thing for quite a while now, slowly getting worse. didnt you change transmission when sasing?

i didn't change the tranny out when sas'ing. i have the original tranny from the truck that i may just slap back in when i do the dual cases i suppose. the one that is in it now is cody's old one with unknown miles on it. my original only had 170k or so on it.

i also have a throwout bearing going bad, but i am not worrying about that until i decided if i am swapping trannies or not.

whats wrong with the throw out bearing?

Yeah I have the high pitched squealing, thought it was the throwout bearing but it is the pilot bearing.
    99 Toy 4Runner<br />Retrofitted elocker, lockrite up front<br />4:88s<br />35&#039;s with 2.5&quot; lift<br />Custom front bumper with Milemarker 8k pound winch

if it is the pilot bearing, i am not going to be swapping that out until the next time i do a clutch. i am 99% sure it is the throwout bearing though because it goes away by stepping on the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by bflooks
    if it is the pilot bearing, i am not going to be swapping that out until the next time i do a clutch. i am 99% sure it is the throwout bearing though because it goes away by stepping on the clutch.
    the throwout bearing does not spin until the clutch pedal is pushed down. so if that bearing was noisey then it would only make noise with the pedal down. so your noise is just like mine, its either the pilot bearing or a trans bearing.

that is interesting then. the last time i had the same noise, it was the same way. i could have sworn i was told on "another" forum it was the throwout. regardless, neither is getting swapped until i change trannies or do a clutch. it's just not worth it to me. i'll deal with the noise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast