Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen 5spd tranny with power in nuetral?

Re: 3rd gen 5spd tranny with power in nuetral?

The pilot bearing is not spinning when the clutch peddle is not depressed. It will not make noise unless is is spining.

The throwout is spinning most of the time. it will normally will make noise when the clutch peddle is not depressed, and will either change pitch or stop making noise once the peddle is depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rogers
    The pilot bearing is not spinning when the clutch peddle is not depressed. It will not make noise unless is is spining.

The throwout is spinning most of the time. it will normally will make noise when the clutch peddle is not depressed, and will either change pitch or stop making noise once the peddle is depressed.
    Have to agree.... 99% of the time it'll be the throwout bearing.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

thanks guys. i appreciate you confirming i was not insane. haha! i was sort of wondering how i read so much wrong information on another site and how everyone else i have spoken to have said the same thing i posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Rogers

your mixing up your bearings. the pilot bearing sits in the flywheel. the tip of the trans input shaft rides in the pilot bearing. if your trans is spinning ,which is does @ idle in neutral, then the pilot is spinning. with the clutch pedal down it stops the trans from spinning and the pilot stops spinning. the only time a throwout bearing spins is when the pedal is pushed down. if it touches at any other time then your clutch pedal is adjusted improperly and will wear out the throwout bearing prematurely. there is always a spec on clutch pedal free play before the throwout bearing actually engages the pressure plate, its usually around an inch.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    your mixing up your bearings. the pilot bearing sits in the flywheel. the tip of the trans input shaft rides in the pilot bearing. if your trans is spinning ,which is does @ idle in neutral, then the pilot is spinning. with the clutch pedal down it stops the trans from spinning and the pilot stops spinning. the only time a throwout bearing spins is when the pedal is pushed down. if it touches at any other time then your clutch pedal is adjusted improperly and will wear out the throwout bearing prematurely. there is always a spec on clutch pedal free play before the throwout bearing actually engages the pressure plate, its usually around an inch.
    Hate to break the news to you.... but your so wrong! Think about what you wrote ..... If the pilot bearing is spinning, that means the input shaft to the transmission is NOT turning at the same rate as the crankshaft. The clutch locks the shaft to prevent it from spinning, thus the pilot bearing remains stationary. When the transmission is in neutral, the input shaft is spinning at the same rate the crankshaft is, provided the clutch isn't depressed

Toyota's use a self adjusting clutch slave cylinder, so most of the time the throwout bearing has some sort of contact with the pressure plate. So it will spin slightly when not engaged.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Thanks Bruce,

I was trying to think about how to put this in words and you did it wonderfully. I would add that the only time the pilot bearing spins with ant rpm's is sitting in 1st gear at a light/stopped most of the other situations where the pilot bearing is in use are during shifts and there is not a huge discrepancy between engin rpm's and input shaft rpm's. A lot of old Chevy's use a brass pilot bushing in place of a bearing. All the pilot bearing dose is keep the input shaft in line with the crank when the clutch is not engaged.

woops, i do stand corrected (partly). your right about the pilot bearing. i just said the opposite of what it should be. but the throw out bearing should not contact the pressure plate unless you have the pedal down. there is no ifs ands or buts about that one. and even if it somehow does slightly touch the pressure plate with the pedal up, then why would the noise go away when the pedal is actually pushed down. it should get worse in that case. which brings me back to one of my original posts
    the chirping sound you hear in neutral ebrake on is from a bearing in the trans. my trans has been doing this same thing for quite a while now, slowly getting worse. didnt you change transmission when sasing?
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

The way the throwout bearing operates is similar to how brake pads back away from the disc after being depressed. There's no return springs, just the disc that kicks the pads away, but there is still slight rubbing, yet you don't hear the pads dragging while driving. The pressure plate acts in a similar fashion, kicking the throwout bearing back, but it still makes a tad bit of contact, unlike the older design, that needed to be manually adjusted as the friction disc wore down.

As for why the bearing makes noise, then goes away is quite simple...... the grease is dried out, so them little balls can rattle in the race. Depress the clutch and the pressure applied to the balls quiets them down. I've experienced this many times in the past, replace the bearing and the noise is gone.......

but the throw out bearing should not contact the pressure plate unless you have the pedal down. there is no ifs ands or buts about that one.

I think you are thinking about an older truck like my FJ40 it has a return spring on the clutch fork that pulls T/O bearing away from the Pressure plate. With this design i have to adjust the clutch about every 30,000 miles to get the engagement back to spec.

and even if it somehow does slightly touch the pressure plate with the pedal up, then why would the noise go away when the pedal is actually pushed down. it should get worse in that case. which brings me back to one of my original posts

The sound changes because as the force is applied to the bearing it is forced internally into a different section of the bearing race, that may be in better shape and not make noise.
    [/quote]

so i am sad to announce that i got stranded last night on the highway. i was just getting on to the highway, shifting in to 3rd (no more than 3500rpm at the time), and i heard a ruckus, felt a pop/bang, and... NOTHING! no gears at all. the motor is still running strong, i can't put the truck in to any gear without using the clutch, and when i do put it in to gear, as soon as the clutch catches, you can feel movement in the stick, a very very slight push on the truck and then absolutely nothing. the engine is free revving and the noise/feeling in shifter stops.

we are diagnosing tonight if it is the tcase, tranny, or if i somehow grenaded a friction disc in the clutch. dual cases were going in, and i have a spare tranny with 170k on it, so that is no big deal, but i didn't expect to have to get in to this job... again! i just replaced the clutch about 35k miles ago back in march of last year.

anyone ever hear of this or experience anything like this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast