Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of Manual Hubs

Pros and Cons of Manual Hubs

hey all,
    whats the Pros and Cons of manuals hubs ?
    The reason I ask is, coming back from Vail on Sunday morning, it was nice, just to throw it into 4Hi, and not worry about "locking in" the hubs, I know that without manual hubs, the CVs spin while driving, but are there any other Pros or Cons ?????
    "Teach me Master"
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Re: Pros and Cons of Manual Hubs

If you break a CV shaft, or your front diff, manual hubs allow you to disengage the front altogether and still drive home; whereas if you have stock "flanges," the CV's have to be completely removed, and I'm not sure if you can drive without CV's up front (stuff may come apart?). Also, with less wear up front since nothing is turning up front you CV boots will last longer. Also, with manual hubs you can just leave them locked for shift on the fly 4x4.

For cons, the biggest one I can think of is supposedly with 3rd gen 4runners and 95.5-04 Tacomas manual hubs also means you're more likely to break something... The hub itself isn't weaker but the splined shaft coming off the CV is. That being said, I know AlbuquerqueJim ran manual hubs with 315's for quite a while. I wonder if he has any input? Also manual hubs conversions/donors are expensive (around $500-700 I think) and difficult to find.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I like the pros of manual hubs.

As for that reported weakness...yeah, I've heard that too. But I tell ya, I've wheeled my junk fairly hard, and haven't broken a CV yet. I broke a couple pre-manualswap. If you're careful and have a front locker to help things out, you can get by pretty well with the "weaker" axles.

Also, it's nice to still have 4wd on-the-fly. If I think AWD/4WD is a possibility for the drive ahead, I'll lock the hubs before I start my trip. Easy fo sheezy.

Quote Originally Posted by calrockx
    I like the pros of manual hubs.

As for that reported weakness...yeah, I've heard that too. But I tell ya, I've wheeled my junk fairly hard, and haven't broken a CV yet. I broke a couple pre-manualswap. If you're careful and have a front locker to help things out, you can get by pretty well with the "weaker" axles.

Also, it's nice to still have 4wd on-the-fly. If I think AWD/4WD is a possibility for the drive ahead, I'll lock the hubs before I start my trip. Easy fo sheezy.
    yeah as Charles pointed out, just lock em before you think youll hit up the snow.

Ric when we had the first snow come through. I drove around in fort collins in 2wd with the hubs locked, of course in my setup i have to stop in Neutral first to put it in 4hi, but took me less then 2 seconds to do so, then i did a 4wd drag out of the box

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Thanks for the replies guys, let me get this right (please correct me if Im wrong)

If I went with Manual Hubs, I can infact "lock" them, and drive in 2wheel drive ? then when needed throw it into 4Hi/Lo.
    If thats true, then wouldnt it pretty much like it is now ? but once they are UNlocked, theres no wear on the CVs ?
    Thanks for the help
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

well the pros and cons change if you have to do a swap (big con, very expensive)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    well the pros and cons change if you have to do a swap (big con, very expensive)
    not if you do it junkyard style.

i could get Ric a non add axle tube for the right side, then get hubs, man hub wheel bearings, and CVs for less then 350 bucks.

Ric difference between ADD and man hubs being locked is the diff is not rotating in ADD. everything is moving with the hubs locked though.

but if you want to do it, ill help you find parts.

i still think that the mpg gain is negligible, and i dont know of any one breaking these cvs with normal driving.

for me thats 350 i could put towards a winch or something else.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i still think that the mpg gain is negligible, and i dont know of any one breaking these cvs with normal driving.

for me thats 350 i could put towards a winch or something else.
    probablly is negligable, but its not breaking the CVs its premature boot wear is why most ppl convert,

i just like knowing, if i broke one side, i can unlock it, lock the front diff and be in 3wd the way out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast