Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of Manual Hubs

Re: Pros and Cons of Manual Hubs

A Small Pro - Unlocked you have 2WD low (in 4WD low). I use it for backing the trailer into the driveway or other tight uphill spots. Kind of a poor mans twin stick, for 2nd gens anyway where the conversion is relatively cheap.

I've got the inferior Warns locking hubs (2nd gen 4runner) on the truck and haven't broken them yet, I do make a concerted effort to avoid wheel spin on rocks (partly thanks to the 3.0).
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    A Small Pro - Unlocked you have 2WD low (in 4WD low). I use it for backing the trailer into the driveway or other tight uphill spots. Kind of a poor mans twin stick...
    This is what I love about the manual hubs on my '84. 2WD low, poor mans twin sticks, couldnt have said it better myself.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

want 2WD low add a crawler....hehe
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    want 2WD low add a crawler....hehe
    or twin stick the case. damn i love 2wd lo. made it so easy to pull into some snow covered parking spaces early in december without getting out to lock the stupid hubs.

oh and my man hub setup, was due in part that i was too lazy to figure out how to put ADD in a 2wd 4runner, so not as much bling for me
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

I can change my Manual Hub CV in 30 mins or less on the trail.

Or, if I can get off the trail in 2 or 3wd I don't have to change it till I want to. Hell, I've run the truck for a month without CV's or a diff when things were broken.

There not just bling, but come in very handy.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG
    A Small Pro - Unlocked you have 2WD low (in 4WD low). I use it for backing the trailer into the driveway or other tight uphill spots. Kind of a poor mans twin stick, for 2nd gens anyway where the conversion is relatively cheap.

I've got the inferior Warns locking hubs (2nd gen 4runner) on the truck and haven't broken them yet, I do make a concerted effort to avoid wheel spin on rocks (partly thanks to the 3.0).
    he can have that with ADD if the did the 20/30 minute wiring for the 2-lo mod.

2low mod only works on Tacos
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    2low mod only works on Tacos
    i thought it worked for any push button case? or just what i read, didnt know it was only for tacomas
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

i believe you are incorrect, bruce. i thought you could do it on the later model 3rd gen 4runners, but that you have to disable the vtrac first. i know lee looked in to this a while back, but i don't recall the result. of course, this is only on the later 3rd gens. i know i could do it on my 98 4runner, but that is because i didn't have any of the electrical bs for my 4wd and tcase.

if youve got the spare cash burning a hole in your pocket, do the hub swap. otherwise, id leave it as is, and just carry spare(s). id rather spend the $$ on a front locker if you dont have one already.

others mentioned most of the pros & cons. i researched this heavily as well a while back Ric, and came to the consensus that the money is better spent elsewhere...like an RD90.

sonny<br />1998 4Runner LTD...d0uble locked on 35&#039;s<br />crawlinbc.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast