Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of Manual Hubs

Re: Pros and Cons of Manual Hubs

Quote Originally Posted by neliconcept

i just like knowing, if i broke one side, i can unlock it, lock the front diff and be in 3wd the way out.
    That is totally dependent on the break.

If you broke inside the hub, or at the bearing, you'd have to remove the axle and plug the hole first. If you broke at the joint, you could do that, but you'd have the axle smacking everything under your truck.

As for pros and cons:

Con: you have to lock them.

Pro: they are better in every sense of the word.

As for weak, I can't comment on warns. Aisins are damn strong.

Also, on a third gen, you are looking at close to an hour to replace an axle on the trail, a hub takes 5 mins.

Lastly, if you can, leave the ADD on there. That is the best set up by far. ADD+Manual hubs. If you can't due to the swap, then so be it, but if at all possible, leave it on.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

yeah i didnt think about the output shaft in the hub.

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

you guys didn't mention that with manual hubs, you can daily drive a vehicle that is locked front and rear with no signs of such until you lock the hubs. this is huge should someone want to run a lockrite or some other lunchbox locker in the front and still have it be a pavement pounder.

not in colorado you can't. As you need to be able to run at 40-50 in 4wd.

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    Also, on a third gen, you are looking at close to an hour to replace an axle on the trail, a hub takes 5 mins.
    I assume an hour for a manual hub axle, it only takes me 15 minutes to replace a ADD axle.

Con: takes twice as long if not longer to replace a broken axle, especially if the axle breaks inside the hub, sometimes it makes it difficult to slide the axle out.

Pro: if your running an ARB locker, no parts are moving while DD

Con: output shaft is weaker, hub is weaker that ADD design

With all that said I will eventually convert over to manual hubs.......mainly for the bling factor

99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    With all that said I will eventually convert over to manual hubs.......mainly for the bling factor

that is perhaps the funniest thing i have heard yet today. HAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    I assume an hour for a manual hub axle, it only takes me 15 minutes to replace a ADD axle.

Con: takes twice as long if not longer to replace a broken axle, especially if the axle breaks inside the hub, sometimes it makes it difficult to slide the axle out.

Pro: if your running an ARB locker, no parts are moving while DD

Con: output shaft is weaker, hub is weaker that ADD design

Must be an experience thing. Took us well over 2 hours to change an axle on the 97. ADD, driveflanges. No modifications to the axle whatsoever.

Well, there you have it, if you have experience, it takes 15 minutes. Much longer with manual hubs.

ADD

too easy jack up truck, remove wheel, remove dust cover, remove 35mm nut, remove 4 spindle bolts.. pull away spindle assy, remove axle assy. install new axle, slide on spindle assy, install 4 bolts, install 35mm nut, install dust cover(optional), install wheel lower truck.....

Manual Hub

remove all those nuts holding manual hub on, get those annoying cone washers out(PITA) remove bolt, remove c-clip etc.... Oh and be careful you don't get dirt inside or lose those tiny parts!

99.9% of the time manual hub not needed, like I said Bling factor......
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

I can agree with this, I dont think Ive ever "needed" them, but was thinking if its less wear on the CVs, I may do it, but after seeing what a pain it is to place them when/if they break I dont know, now Im back to where I started, lol.
    I very much appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions

Keep them coming.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

ADD

too easy jack up truck, remove wheel, remove dust cover, remove 35mm nut, remove 4 spindle bolts.. pull away spindle assy, remove axle assy. install new axle, slide on spindle assy, install 4 bolts, install 35mm nut, install dust cover(optional), install wheel lower truck.....

Manual Hub

remove all those nuts holding manual hub on, get those annoying cone washers out(PITA) remove bolt, remove c-clip etc.... Oh and be careful you don't get dirt inside or lose those tiny parts!

I wasn't arguing with you. I was stating how long it took us, being inexperienced. Perhaps others will take less time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast