Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CBI rear bumpers for 3rd gen 4runners

Re: CBI rear bumpers for 3rd gen 4runners

i think what most are trying to say is, that even though its a somewhat custom bumper, the mounting holes are going to bigger than need be, to allow for the differences in vehicles, so dont tap it on a rock, it will move on ya.

Ric accidently hit a rock coming down on his armorology bumper and it flexed enough to put a huge dent in his left quarter, but he has the entire rear crossmember out for the tire winch thing.
    its not bad, cant even see it, until I point it out, lol but yea I dont have the Tire carrier cross member bar.
    Yours is still plenty strong, no need to remove the cross member, unless your going to make that a storage area, like I "want" to, just havent done it, lol,
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

you'll need at least 1" gap, otherwise your guarranteed to do body damage when bumping into anything. Even then 1" isn't truly enough, since the body can flex upwards of 2" easily, that's why I added the rubber trim to cover the gap and help to dampen, when the bumper does flex into the body.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    you'll need at least 1" gap, otherwise your guarranteed to do body damage when bumping into anyhing. Even then 1" isn't truly enough, since the body can flex upwards of 2" easily, that's why I added the rubber trim to cover the gap and help to dampen, when the bumper does flex into the body.
    rubber trim huh? i may do that with both the front and rears to see if that helps.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Poly body mounts would help a bit against that, wouldn't it?
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    its not bad, cant even see it, until I point it out, lol but yea I dont have the Tire carrier cross member bar.
    Yours is still plenty strong, no need to remove the cross member, unless your going to make that a storage area, like I "want" to, just havent done it, lol,
    ric, please make sure you put a crossmember in there. youre lucky so far, but you can tweak the frame or body if you dont support the frame properly. put a piece of 1x1 in at the very least, that should help things!
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Quote Originally Posted by BruceTS
    you'll need at least 1" gap, otherwise your guarranteed to do body damage when bumping into anyhing. Even then 1" isn't truly enough, since the body can flex upwards of 2" easily, that's why I added the rubber trim to cover the gap and help to dampen, when the bumper does flex into the body.
    I learned this the hard way. The picture was taken after I had cut the bumper back and added rubber trim to fill the gap but the damage was already done.

hes gonna make it a 1" gap for me, and ill fill the rest with a thick weather stripping to help out.

for the underneath, I plan to build a small box to handle CVs, tie rod ends, bolts, ujoints, and various other small parts to keep from out from inside the truck. will keep it in line with the bumper so it doesnt hang too low. cut out the tire carrier crossmember and add 2 1x1 square tubes to support the box in place i would assume, if the tubes should be bigger then ill go that rout, just dont know how to keep the box in there, Id want it to be removable, so i can get to it.
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

If you plan to add a storage box use one of these. I thought about adding one, if I chose not to move my fuel tank to the back.

As for body mounts, if you changed them out to a stiffer material, you'll be asking for more trouble down the road when the body starts cracking. Also there would be more road noise transmitted into the cab.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

ric, please make sure you put a crossmember in there. youre lucky so far, but you can tweak the frame or body if you dont support the frame properly. put a piece of 1x1 in at the very least, that should help things
    thankx for the concern, thats why I like this place most members do generaly care
    But yea, when I did cut it out, I had every intent to have a custom tank there, then life happens, lol its on my "top 2 list" appreciate the concern
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

I don't have a crossmember any longer..... no need the bumper took it's place.

If your gonna add bracing, I'd plate the back half of the frame rails. Something you might consider when adding a tire carrier, them frames are too weak to handle that much weight.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast