Thread: Properly adjusting headlights

Properly adjusting headlights

I don't know if this applies to smaller lifts like we have but I'm pretty sure that the huge 12" ford lifts require the headlights to be adjusted downward to properly illuminate the road. well either way, one of my headlights went out of whack and its driving me nuts, the problem is i don't know which one. firstly, is there a technique or guidelines i can follow for getting the correct angle to best benefit myself and other drivers? secondly, how do i get the lamp to stay in the new location? i was jiggling it last night and it was moving fairly easily, but both just went right back to the position they were in. thanks guys
    <br /><br />
    883/LC with OME/PC shocks ∙ 2&quot; body lift ∙ ARB bull bar
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

Re: Properly adjusting headlights

When I get home from work today, If I remember, Ill take a pic of what the Chiltons book says for proper adjustment. And which screws to play with for adjustment. You will have to figure out what to compensate for the lift although 2''in lift wont affect it that much. As I didnt have to adjust mine when I did the 3'' on my runner.
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

i'm running about 5.6" of lift front and rear that's why i'm a little concerned
    <br /><br />
    ∙ KC/IPF aux lighting ∙ 33&quot; BFG all terrains ∙ custom rocker panels ∙ vortex cherrybomb ∙ couple other things ∙

mine need to be reaimed up because of the rake of the vehicle, right now mine are like fog lights, i can see directly in front of me and thats about it...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    mine need to be reaimed up because of the rake of the vehicle, right now mine are like fog lights, i can see directly in front of me and thats about it...
    me too
    Joe<br /><br />1997 4runner limited<br />Sonoran Steel #1 lift, 1&quot; 4crawler bl, LC wheels, 295 Terra Grapplers, deckplate, satoshi grille, extended rear diff breather...

There are two adjusting screws on the back of the light. There is just enough room to adjust it with a wrench. It should stay the way you want... I just adjusted mine and they are still where I aimed them. The way I used to tell which light is shining where is to stand in front of one light and look where the other is shining.

If you can find some flat area in front of a garage door or wall, easiest way to do it is to park 10-15 feet away from the wall/door. Turn your lights on and adjust as necessary. Keep an eye on the beam pattern to avoid spacing them too far out or crossing. You pretty much want each light aimed directly forward and down just a bit to help other drivers.
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

made a little progress. i just had my rig in for timing belts at the dealership and i asked them to check the headlights for me. he turned off a side of the garage lights and turned my lights on, the right headlight had a nice concentrated beam and the left was distorted and reflected, however when he turned on the brights the beams were aligned perfectly. i'm thinking either the bulb is screwy or some debris interference in the housing, any suggestions?
    <br /><br />

i adjust the low beams first on a dark, deserted road to achieve max distance & maximum light, then fine tune with the high beams.

check to see if the bulb in installed correctly or if the clip is loose/broken
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

the low beam reflector may be distorted. try swapping bulbs from side to side and try again to see if it is the bulb or the lense/housing
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.