Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of DIY E-Locker Swap

Cost of DIY E-Locker Swap

Just curious to know what everyone's paying for an E-Locker swap, cost of E-locker and any/all wiring needed.

I've noticed quite a few getting harnesses made or making they're own. Why not just use all the stock wiring?

Enlighten me E-Locker Guru's
    94/2.4/5spd/261/331250GeolanderMT

Re: Cost of DIY E-Locker Swap

check inchworms site for elocker's and harness and ecu controls. If you use the toy harness, you have to have an ECU for the locker itself. A lot of guys just run a couple of relays to lock and unlock. Talk to Seanz0rz about it, or Marc P, they both just finished a swap.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

my third member cost me 600 or 650. i know they can be found cheaper, but this thing was MINT. studs and gasket cost me 20 i think, wiring was 20-40 (i had some parts lying around)

i did all my own labor, so that saved me about a grand right there! total cost for me: right around 700. if you really shop around and drive a hard bargain, you can find the elocker for as little as 300, you may have to rebuild it though. i have a grinder and welder, if you dont have a welder, a shop should be able to do that work for most definately under 100, and it should be around 25-50 (some people like to charge alot of money for nothing

going the stock route for me was just not an option, the ecu is 100 or more, and i would have to tap into switches and sensors, as i was not wired for the elocker at all.

ARB air lockers start at 700 just for the locker, not counting air compressor and professional install.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Just curious if anyone knows of a method that would allow a E-Locker to be set up without any wiring. I know Downey makes a cable activated "switch", but I am looking for seomthing even less complicated.

What I'd like to know is if there is a way to build a lever or maybe install a bolt that could be turned by hand to lock the rear diff. Just reach under there and do it when you lock the front hubs for the trail.

So, on the trail always locked. On the road, always open.

I've got a E-Locker diff minus the actuator. My plan would be to install it on a vehicle designed for 90% trail use. I figure if originally a motor turns the gear that activates the locker, something manual at the diff could be devised.

A bit off topic for this thread... but if it could be done and someone really wanted to save some coin, might be an option.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Orange]
    1990 4Runner | V6 3.4 | 5spd | 230 someoddthousand miles | SR5 | SAS | RLS | 35's | ARB | TJM | 217 to 1... and a few other mods
    <br /><br />
    - four wheels | three sticks | two hands | one trail -

I got my high pinion locker from Marlin for my solid axle so that was normal cost.

People don't use the factory computer because it's expensive. You can wire up your own for about $10. I spent a little more just because I got a really nice switch. Inchworm uses about $10 in material.

If you follow the wiring diagrams on the net (thanks Ken!) it's pretty easy to build.

Elvota, the only problem I see is if the splines don't match up and you have to drive a little so that they start to mesh. The motor will tend to push the sleeve into the splines until they line up. You'd probably have to come up with a mechanism that, when engaged, will continuously push the sleeve. A spring would work. If you have access to a milling machine you could come up with something pretty easily. Otherwise you just have to be creative about using a welder and grinder.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

DJ,

Hmm..lemme see if i can remember...

e-locker = about $300 after shipping costs
    gasket for use as a template = around $5?
    switch = robinhood made one for me for about $10 (which he refused to accept)
    wiring = hmm...maybe $12 in wiring?
    all the studs = $15
    sky mfg elocker guard = $50 w/ shipping. optional but worth it to protect that actuator and motor

then there's the misc supplies like brake fluid and if you are near the rear axle seal change interval, whatever that costs. it was cheap.

all in all, i think i spent $500. i bought someone's rear axle for ~$100 shipped. so it couldve been closer to $400. i still have my original CA axle. wanna buy? Its from california!

bob

Bob,

Thanks for the info. Sounds very doable. Gonna have to start networking to find a E-locker now. Then I'll just have to decide which size tires I want to run so I can regear it properly.

You can keep your axle, btw, though I'll be sourcing another rear to minimize downtime with the truck.

DJ,

Yeah, the biggest expense will be the e-locker. Hard to bargain b/c they are hard to come by, but good luck!

Bob

I've got a couple of connections who might be able to score a deal for me. Gonna have to catch up with them here soon. Got a few other details I will need to decide on and then I'll press forward.

Thanks again for the info.

I am sure you have thought of this but if the locker you score has different gears than you have now and will still have in the front unless you regear that also, it may be another cost you will want to figure in.

ie. if you find one that is $100 cheaper but you will have to do gears also then you may want to get one that is a bit more expensive but doesn't need to be regeared.

Just thought I'd mention that.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast